Led Replacment Bulbs

Guest piddy

Guest piddy

Hello All.

Have you seen these LED replacment bulbs. You just remove you normal bulb and replace with these LED alternatives.

They are obviously much brighter,but my thought was how effective would they be when fitted to the rear lights on a hood. As you know the bulbs in these lights fit side ways.

post-8-1091438910.jpg

Guest salty_monk

LED's are pretty directional, you won't see a lot from the side unless you get a good reflection off the inside of the lense I don't think...

You could always add some refelctive material in there to bounce it though if it does shine straight out the side!

Let us know if/when you've tried them..

Guest boggie

Hi Salty,

I have used them in the Audi rear lights and side lights at the front. MUCH betters than traditional bulbs and last virtually forever. However I haven't used them on the Hood for the very reason you have stated. But then I haven't had to change a bulb on the hood in 8 years! :rolleyes:

Boggie

Guest piddy

I know these lights from SVC look good and do an excellent job.

But you didn't mention the price? £160 maybe.

I followed two cars back from a show a few weeks ago when the rain was falling very heavy.

One of the cars had the SVC LED lights the other standard RHE lights. it got me thinking how can I fit Led's without the extra work of changing my lights and the over the top price.

Guest battery joe

i cant exactly remember the price i think it was somethin like £180 :o :o :o but they were out of my b-day present fund (then a week later i broke my arm and couldn't work on the car for 2 weeks :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: )

piddy

i dont think it would be that much work to change the light cluster to LED's, as long as the led bulbs fit.

Guest steve @ sVc

Hi - this is Steve from sVc.

Piddy - we have been buying these bulbs from UK and USA suppliers for some time now, to test, and whilst they look bright (have you noticed at shows they are always shown in darkened areas??) the light is very directional as said above. When shone through a defusing lens, the output is very poor. LED replacement bulbs for 21w applications are less than ½ the brightness of a conventional bulb, measured on very crude equipment.

They are normally packed with the card saying “not road legal” or “off road use only” EXCEPT for the reverse light bulb. This is because the reverse light is not a legal requirement, so no minimum light output is specified in the Construction & Use Act – the basis in SVA.

When I first saw our “ultrabright” LED lights, I asked why the amber light was more expensive than the stop/tail – seemed illogical.

I’m told this is because they had problems with standard LEDs to get the “E” marking. That is with 56 LEDs & a 94 mm array. So the answer was to use more expensive higher out-put LEDs. It follows that a bulb replacement is not going to be very bright.

Battery Joe – love the shots of your car – could we use them in our web “photos” section please???

Anyone coming to Harrogate this weekend ??

Steve @ sVc

Guest Battery Bill

Here is our LED's, We are very pleased with them :D

They did cost £175 but as its Joeys car and he will be keeping it, its money well spent.

We did have to trim down the carbon housings a lot to get them to fit correctly on our rear wings, We are not fitting a reversing light because we cannot fail to see behind us with all this lighting power :D :D

post-8-1092264907.jpg