Rolling Road Thread For Dummies

Guest Knownothing

Guest Knownothing

As you probably know by now I am new and inexperienced when it comes to this kit car business. I see alot of discussion about rolling roads and would like to know if my car would benefit from a session or whether it is just for a higher spec'd car than mine. It's never been tuned and is a 1.6 pinto with basic ignition system and DGAV 32/36 carb.

Thanks in advance.

If your engine is as Ford built it with little or no upgrades, and I suspect from your description it is probably so, then there is little you will gain from an expensive exercise.

Rolling roads near where I live can cost £100 an hour, a basic power run can be £40+

That would tell you if you at least had the power Ford intended.

However, and I think it's been said to you before, the cheapest and most simple route to 20% more power is to fit a 2.0L then every modification you would make to your 1.6 to achieve 2.0L performance will add more power on a 2.0L.

Just a regular service with new oil, plugs, filters (oil, fuel and air if its paper) and points can help bring back power to the Ford levels.

A carb' strip/ clean of the DGAV can also help, fit new jets if you still have the original factory ones, also replace the fuel inlet filter. A DGAV service kit is under £20.

I recently found my compression pressures were low on my 2.0L only around 60 psi, also I was getting oil smoke on startup so the valve seals needed replacing.

I have just completed a head strip over winter, new stem seals and re-grinding in the valves. It has made a big difference to power and the compressions is now around 120 PSI on all cylinders.

You could do all of the above for the cost of a rolling road session, or just upgrade to a 2.0 as Paul suggests.

Guest 2b cruising

If you are considering a change to a larger engine, it makes long term thinking come into play.

Good unworn pinto engines are getting rare and are expensive to rebuild to a premium standard.

More power, and smoother running would be available by changing to the Zetec.

What you would pay out rebuilding and tuning your engine would cover the cost of a good full engine unit and it's fitting if you were to do it yourself. Especially if you have the help of the forum or even a close member to help you

Another advantage would be quieter running as the exhaust is stuck in the passengers ear instead of your own.

All the advantages put together make it a more viable choice.

Even though production of the Zetec has ended it it still easy to buy a brand new, unused crated 2ltr Zetec with all standard brand new ancillaries for well under £1000.

A lot of fun can still be had with a pinto. Skim 40 thou of the head port and polish the exhaust valves and out lets. This can all be done for a few hundred. Pounds for smiles it's a winner, I had a absolute blast in Scotland

• Like 1