Carbs

Guest Rich

Guest Rich

Hello Folks,

I have just received a very expensive jigsaw consisting of a pair of 45 weber carbs, a short manifold, a bag of bits to link the carbs together, 2 different types of mounting plates and some mounting washers and grommets. I'm a little out of my depth so can someone please confirm my thoughts or point me in the right direction.........a pic of an existing set up would be really helpfull......

Firstly I think I am going to have to modify the mechanism that links the throttles of each carb together as there is not enough clearance room with the short manifold to fit the linkage I have been supplied with...it needs room below it and there isn't any...not too much of a problem....or am I missing something ?

I think, I have been sent 2 kinds of mounting plates.......the first is sort of a slim metal gasket with a fixed O ring to seal between the carbs and the manifold, the second type is plastic, (about 5mm thick), with 2 O rings, one either side, to seal between the carbs and manifold, is there any advantage or disadvantage of either type or should I just use the metal ones as they take up less room !.......or do they each have there own seperate use?? :huh:

next the mounting washers and grommets, (they look like small bobbins).......there are 16 cup washers and 8 grommets using my great mathermatical skills I guess that I sit each grommet inside 2 washers......do theses then go over the studs on the manifold and then I bolt everything down........the the washers/grommets allowing for any movement/vibrations when the engine is running

I'm sure there will be other questions from me on these but thanks for now anyway

Guest Bazwaz

Use the metal plate with the fixed o rings between carb and manifold. The plastic spacer with the seperate o rings should be thrown away as they have a habit of spitting out should your carbs backfire. You're right about the other washers and gromits, don't be tempted to bolt them up solid they need some movement to prevent frothing.

Barry.

Guest Rich

Cheers fellas,

As luck would have it the link on the page that Nigels "link" shows would be ideal, my carbs were supplied with a variety of possible links.......but not that one !, I do have the "floating pin and paw" but the slot that locates onto the throttle spindle is 90 degrees out to the one in the pic and so it either points up or down, the link that I have to go with it requires it to be pointing down, which there isn't enough room to do....I can see a way of modifying it, but, this would then mean that the throttle cable would have to attach to the outside of one of the carbs not in the center of the two ..... can this cause problems ?

You can buy the spares separately, I'll try to find out the address, but I just surfed for "webber carburetter" and found it that way. (that's providing that you do have the genuine Webber linkage.

post-6-1051960242.jpg