Performance From Different Size Engines?

Guest Tuco

Hello everyone,

A friend and myself have decided to build ourselves a kit car, and have pretty much decided on the Robin Hood 2B, mainly because of the price, the thousands of build diary websites, and an excellent online community ;)

Our main concern at the moment is what size engine our dodnor car should have. Ideally we would want to build a 2.0 DOHC, but judging from the Robin Hood site that seems to cost more money to build. Is it much more or is it just a different bonnet? Is there a 2.0 SOHC engine available?

Also, what kind of performance differences are there between the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 engines? I imagine the 2.0 Sierra is quite a bick more responsive than the 1.6, does this carry over to the Robin Hood?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to get all the information before plunging into something!

Tuco.

ps. is anyone here from the Norfolk/ East Anglia region? It owuld be nice to have someone local to talk to / take a quick look at their car.

:D yes there is a 2.0 sohc otherwise known as the pinto,this would probebly be your best option even in standard form its quite nippy and as funds allow you can add to it to gain a very lively engine

im sure there will be more posts comming,as one thing all hoodies luv is new people on the site/owners

all the best and wellcome

andy

As you've noticed, there are a number of different engines in Hoods, but mainly they all start out with the Pinto (SOHC) Whatever engine you use, you'll find that the car is reasonably quick, providing that it's set up correctly, but ideally you want to go for a 2 ltr engine, either with a good carb (singular!) or EFI, both will give you good power to weight.

you can start building with a 1600cc sierra as the Donor, and put the 2000cc engine (carb) in anytime afterwards. (to put EFI in afterwards could be more difficult, as you've got to think about swirl pots & ECU's etc)

Whatever you start with, you'll have fun with it once it's on the road.

Good luck.

Jim

Hi Tuco, Wellcome.

All the Ford Pinto SOHC are good engines. the 1.6 will be quick in a Robin Hood with a good power to weight ratio. If you want more fun from your money then go for the 2.0 Pinto but what ever you end up doing your going to have fun anyway :D

Chris

For what it's worth, my trusty Sierra manual has the output figures as follows;

1.3sohc - 60ps @ 5700rpm

1.6sohc - 75ps @ 4900rpm

1.8sohc - 90ps @ 5400rpm

2.0sohc - 105ps @ 5200rpm

2.0EFi - 115ps @ 5500rpm

And your average 2B weighs somewhere in the region of 750kg, give or take.

:)

Guest Battery Bill
ps. is anyone here from the Norfolk/ East Anglia region? It owuld be nice to have someone local to talk to / take a quick look at their car.

Tuco

Piddy is a Swampie from Thetford.

Just click on the the Members tag at the top, Type in Piddy and you get all the contact info you need :D

Guest timswait

You don't have to apologise for asking questions, that's what this site is for, and most Hoodies will happily waffle for hours about their cars!

I built my car with a 1.6 in completely standard form, and it felt quick (but up until then I had only driven my mum's Nissan Micra!). The actual performance wasn't that great, about 10-11 secs to get to 60. I then upgraded to a 2.0 EFi (and yes Jim was right, there was a lot of phaff with converting the fuel system). The performance increase was fantastic, as Joel's figures show it's around a 50% power increase, and felt more than that. 0-60 is now around 7 secs, and the engine pulls right through from 1000 rpm in 5th gear (about 30mph). A 2.0 carbed engine can be brought up to around 115 bhp (or more) with the right carb, but to my mind the EFi is the best mix of power, torque, pickup and economy.

Bill, I think you need to go to be erler :lol:

When I started building I wanted the cheepest car with the most power I could get, I got the Sub-K (2B 2004) and I bought a 2.0 GLXi SOHC Pinto Sierra from Ipswitch for £150.

My whole build cost £2500 to get the thing on the road (spent more now of course :( ) But it goes like a rocket and the 'fun per pound' factor is excellent ;) .

Hello tuco.

Send me an e-mail telling me what part of Norfolk your from and I'll see what I can arrange for you to meet some members from the Norfolk /Suffolk area.

We meet at the Park hotel,Diss Norfolk. the second sunday of every month from 11.15am. ( Next 12th September)You would be more than welcome to just turn up and introduce yourself.

This weekend coming we are going on a Norfolk coast run Starting at Norwich,Sainsbury's car park (near the show ground)at 10am. Again you could just come along and introduce yourself.

We will be attending the Norfolk Police Gala on the 5th September at the Royal Norfolk show ground.

Guest Stonemonkey

Hi everyone I am Stonemonkey, (Tuco's side kick), as you know we are considering the Hood as it is economically friendly compared to others and from reviews better from what I understand, any handy info or links would be greatly appreciated, also is the pinto engine only sohc I really do ont know that much about the sierra engines . Cheers all, Stonemonkey :D

Hi

Ford did fit an engine in the last of the Sierra 1.8, called the CVH.

I have not seen a CVH fitted in a hood before and don't no if there if anyone has ? :( :wacko:

I would stick with the Pinto it will fit a hood without you have to do mods to the engine mounts or chassis.

Chris

Guest Battery Bill

I have heard the CVH engine is rubbish, and that came from a scrappy so it must be :rolleyes: Yes Pinto or DOHC are the best bet (For Fords anyway before Big Jim Jumps in) :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like we'll be looking for a Sierra 2.0 SOHC then, where is the best place to look? I've seen a few Sierras on ebay and on the side of the road in Norwich, but is there somewhere I'm missing?

I look forward to seeing some of you in Diss next month!

Guest salty_monk

My dad had a Sierra Saphire with the 1.8 CVH, was quite good actually & considering it had only 90bhp went really well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is quite a tall engine though & so is not suitable for kits....