Cheap Head Sets

Guest johnboymac

Guest johnboymac

just something that may be of general interest.

Halfords are currently selling the head sets for 1.8 - 2 l pinto for £8.50 and 1.6l at £6.50.

This could be limited stock or a sign that the pinto engine is becoming a rarity, but at less than half the list price, it might be worth trying to get one - I certainly did...

... now I guess the engines got to come back out to renew the head gasket!

cheers, John

Guest Tim Norman

Why does the engine need to come out? Even the boys at Haynes say it is one of the jobs that can be done with the engine in. After the battery is disconnected and the vehicle securley on chocks of course. :p

Cheers

Bobsmate :lol:

Guest Angel Boy

Torx type need replacing. I asked our local motor foactors if they could get hold of the other type. Unsurprising the answer was no. Means everytime change head I need new bolts funny that <_<

Andy

Try Burton Power for the earlier type of head bolt (Spline).

Word of warning: Although I have never had any problems with Spline bolts, other users have in the past have stated they are very easy to strip because of the finer teeth on the bolt head.

Also, If like me you do not have a spline bit (12mm I think) kicking around at home I would recommend ordering one from Burton at the same time as the bolts (Comes with 1/2 Socket attachment made by Draper for approx 4 Nuggets) as they are an absolute cow to find.

Regards

Shandylegs :D

Guest Daz

I can confirm that taking the head off while the engine is in the car is a doddle. It is probably even easier than it is with the original Sierra. It is just the draining of coolant and constant dropping of manifold nuts and washers under the car that is a pig. That is my penance for being blessed with big hands, I suppose. B)

Daz

Guest graham dockerill
:o Hi , Johnboymac was right in saying the pinto is becoming a rarity, the head sets are £8.50 if in stock from Halfords. If not they are a discontinued item. Get in quick as I bought 4 exhaust manifold gaskets at a Ford Dealer and they cost more than this. regards Graham.