Can't Help A Quick Flash.... Must Resist

Guest Troy Halliday

Guest Troy Halliday

Sorry about the titile but I couldn't help my self.

Anyhoo on to the problem.

I have just done a check on the electrics for the first time and after discovering my initial cock-up of putting one of the connector blocks in the wrong slot on the steering column, I have pretty much managed to solve all the electrical problems bar one. I have fitted LCD rear lights (Indicators and Stop/Tail lights) and have just discuvered that they only draw 4 Watts each. This becomes a problem when using the indicators because the resistance is not enough to stop the flasher relay thinking there is a bulb missing and flashing at a redicules speed.

I could put a hidden bulb in the system somewhere which would make it flash at the correct rate but would brefer to put a resistor in the line (hope thats the correct term). My front bulbs are 21 watts, side 5 watts and rear 4 Watts so by my crude calcualations I would guess I need a 17watt resistor in the rear indicator line.

Question is where do I get such a thing and how would it be wired up.

If anyone could help me with this little problem I would much appreciate it. ;)

A 21W bulb takes about 1.5A, Maplin sell 10W resistors so if you use a couple of 5R6 in series you can simulate a bulb. As the bulb is only on half the time each one should only dissipate around 5W.

You may need to heat sink the resistors to keep them cool. You should also be able to get away with just using one fake bulb if you put it across the relay instead of the LED backlight but a look at the circuit diagram will tell.

Guest steve @ sVc

Have found a non load sensitive flasher relay - 3 pin.

Constant flashing speed with all bulbs - all LEDs or one of each!

Hope this helps

Steve @ sVc

call at local rate 08 456 581 251

Guest Battery Bill

Or you could do what we have done and fit a normal lightbulb and holder in each indicator circuit and that will take the extra load and hey your indicators work fine :D :D The bulb can be taped up in an old 35mm film container and tucked away neatly out of view. Its on our website somewhere but I can't remember at the moment. :D

Can't beat free but doesn't it feel like a crude solution to the problem. You go to the expense of buying and fitting some very nice LED rear lamps and parceled up in some corner of your car you have the tungsten lamp still in circuit, hidden in a box which you may have to get at in the future to replace the bulb. Or you fiddle with resistors and a heat sink when there is a non load sensitive flasher available. I just feel its a false economy and a bit of a downmarket bodge. Same reasoning led me to buy the speedo angle drive when there are cheaper effective solutions but I feel its better engineered with the angle drive in.

Nigel

;) everyone has thier own solutions to a problem,if it works and your happy so be it

i to have the led rear lights(to be fitted)but i bought the relay said above,the only downside to this relay is that if you loose a bulb(blow)the relay does not spead up as the normal to let you know a bulb is out

Guest Battery Bill

Nigel

downmarket bodge
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

The bloke that checked over our electrics said that this was a popular way of sorting out the problem :p :p And it was also a problem that could be solved there and then, eventually if we see one of those thingys that you are on about we could buy one (Depending how much it was).

I can't see how its "False economy" either it did not cost me anything and I have tons of spare indicator bulbs ready to use if one fails :D :D :D

Guest Troy Halliday

I may go for the 'Down market bodge' for the moment and at the next show get SVC to bring one along with them.

To be honest, as I've been left to do all the problem solving and ordering of parts I think Mick can sort this one out after the SVA ;)

I just bought myself a Classic Lotus Esprit S3 to restore so I'm looking forward to starting on that as soon as the Mac#1 is finnished.

The prop we have been waiting for has just been shipped (or at least they said it would be shipped today) and the custom Oil cooler hoses should be dropped off either tonight or tomorrow night. I've checked all the electrics and all seems Ok I've set up the tracking and suspension. I've checked over all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are touqed up. Basically I'm ready to start the engine and can't wait to hear it running. All I can say is that if it doesn't live up to my expectation I may just have to do some serious sulking :D

We were hoping to have the car all running to bring to BARKSTON HEATH. As I though it would be a good opertunity to catch up with you all, just haven't managed to get much time to myself what with building the car every night and weekend, not that I need to tell you lot about that. I also thought it would be a good chance for some shake down time, without risking my licence of the Queens highways.

Having said that if all the bits turn up tomorrow I may just load it up on a trailer and turn up anyway. what do you recon my chances are :wacko: