Efi Fuel Pump/tank

Jez Morton

Loads of options.

You can use a lift pump to a header tank higher up which then feeds the main pump. It's a very reliable solution but requires a second pump and a lot of pipework to get the overflow etc sorted.

Weld a swirl pot onto the bottom of the tank and mount the injection pump under it so it's gravity fed.

Use a large bore pipe angled slightly between the pump and the tank. The volume in the pipe will act as a swirl pot and the angle allows bubbles to rise back again. This can be improved by putting the return line into a T piece in the pump feed rather than going straight back to the tank, so flow from the tank is much less in the first place (aka Dave Wilson for those who remember him).

Similar to the above, fit a pre-pump filter. It's volume acts as a swirl pot, and angling it gets rid of bubbles.

The decision is yours!

Ant

Might I add, I have this set up and I think a header tank might be the best answer.

Currently have a large bore pipe from bottom of tank (15mm) into fuel pump (gravity fed). This on its's own isn't enough to overcome fuel sloshing and picking up air.

Now have a pump pre-filter ( which is definately required) in line. This is a cheap bowl type thing from Halfrauds. Still not enough to overcome any sloshing as I have to run tank at full or nearly full. As soon as I've used a tenners worth left hand corners are a nightmare!!!.

I'm having a tank fabricated in the winter with internal swirl pot and internal pump and I'm hoping this will cure it.

Cheers

Lee

Guest Phil Slater

There are quite a few threads about "swirl pots" if you enter that into search you'll find them. As Ant says the header tank method does require an extra pump and pipework but i think it is a neat solution to the problem. Hopefully here is a link to an earlier similar question I made a reply to.

Good luck

Phil Slater

Guest Fred2b

My system is simialr to Ant's but the return pipe enters the tank at the top passing through the remaining fuel for cooling effect to help stop percolation on hot days. The pipe goes right to the bottom into the mouth of the exit hole that feeds the pump. There is also 1 meter of 15mm bore pipe coiled flat below the tank that acts as the surge tank. I have not had any problems after 1500 miles.

Peter :p

My system is simialr to Ant's but the return pipe enters the tank at the top passing through the remaining fuel for cooling effect to help stop percolation on hot days. The pipe goes right to the bottom into the mouth of the exit hole that feeds the pump. There is also 1 meter of 15mm bore pipe coiled flat below the tank that acts as the surge tank. I have not had any problems after 1500 miles.

Peter :p

Mine does that now too. At first the return fed in between the tank and the pump, but last summer in a queue in the blazing sun the fuel vapourized and the engine spluttered to a halt. Mine goes into the tank as you've said, and is directed towards the swirl pot at the bottom. It means there's always fuel in the swirl pot, but it gets cooled along the way.

Ant

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I have used the RH tank with the top out let and Sierra sender but I have a made a 4 " square "pot " and mounted it below the tank next to the fuel pump , it seems to work well in the garage and has run for many hours now but I havent tried it on the road yet - main worry is if it does run out of fuel will it syphon to the pot .

Steve

Guest chris brown

I think you will have trouble as soon as you get down to 1/2 tank the first right hand corner you take air will be sucked into your pot and as the pump supplies far more fuel than the engine requires it will only take a few seconds before the pump would be trying to suck air. To use a top feed you require a second pump in the tank VW have one on the Golf try local scrap yards for GTIs its mounted along with the sender.