Raise steering wheel height / angle of steering column

Craig Poultney

Hi Guys,

so finally picked the hood up yesterday and registered it today (in Germany you get a new number plate and number with every change of owner). Anyway the fun starts here 🙂 

Got a question about the steering wheel height / angle of the steering column. I’m 6‘3“ and have moderately long legs. I‘d like to raise the steering wheel up about 3-5 cms to give a bit more knee room. I‘m planning to either move the instrument pack to the middle or get complete new instruments anyway, so that should make room.

The cross bar that the steering column is mounted to behind the steering wheel is bolted to the chassis left and right.

question is, can I relocate the position off this crossbar a little higher to raise the steering wheel assembly or the other option may be to drill some holes higher in the top column bracket to raise  just the column and leave the crossbar alone. 

any experience out there with this sort of modification?

cheers up front for the advice

Craig 

D99D4353-FB97-4A1C-B41E-23E55E3D9C24.jpeg

BCE5D288-E97F-4563-B86A-99BEA1E2890B.jpeg

329FF155-EDFF-4FAE-918B-37F32E383131.jpeg

28BBE013-A769-4C52-A206-E6C6D1699CCE.jpeg

8C65E951-B6D1-4D86-87EC-D308ACAFFCFC.jpeg

Hi. I had the same issues with mine although I'm a lot shorter than you. The seat type obviously makes a difference. I raised that horizon bar by drilling new holes about an inch with no issues, which helped. There is also a bit of vertical adjustment with the 2 bolts either side of the column I seem to remember. Best thing I did was fit a flat bottomed steering wheel which is removable.