Best coolant & other prep for winter

Brian75

About to have the first Winter with my car and I've recently had the thermostat changed so only have water in the system at the moment. I'm looking to prep the car for Winter and searching for the correct coolant so any advice would be appreciated. Engine is a 205 block from 1989 Sierra.

I've read conflicting reports about blue v red and what is for older engines or what would damage them - bit confused at the moment!

Also, any additional things to do? Car is outside and won't be used too much over the winter.

Edited by Brian75

Hi Brian,

I always used to put the blue into my Pinto - I don't think the red stuff was around when the Pinto was new.    I used to put about 50/50 coolant & water.

I would recommend you keep the battery regularly charged.  My 2B was always in a garage but it was unheated and got pretty cold at times.  I used to try and run mine up to normal temperature every 2 or 3 weeks and move it backwards and forwards a few yards - enough to stop the brakes sticking.  I'd then do an oil change in Spring before I started using it again.

Hope this helps,  Steve

• Like 1