Well I've Started

e666

Well I actually made a start on the kit on saturday.

Rear axel off and stripped down. Got the new bushes inplace on the trailing arms - noticed rust on the lower outboard welds :unsure: few pin holes in the weld - so gotta do something with that.

Then came the draining of the diff ..... bung out .... no oil, strange smell of old burnt stuff ..... and a magnatised piece of metal :( and thick grey goo that seemed to be full of iron filings :( that cant be good !

Trip to RH for a replacement diff on thursday.

But at least I HAVE started it now.... :D

e

post-7-1096883589.jpg

I had one of those bits of metal attached to the magnet on my fill/drain plug. No sludge or filings though. Looked like half a washer had been left in there. Mentioned it to Richard but having covered a few miles now there seems to be nothing untoward going on.

Did you get to drive the donor car, did you notice any strange noises coming from the rear end?

If you didn't notice anything then change the oil seals, fill it with oil and use it.

Ah, that would explain this bit then :D

super spec - SS 2.0 Red.... collected 8/9/04.....

Well done for starting your build, I suggest you phone RH and ask them about the diff :lol:

Just a thought, is the Diff on a Super speck new or reconditioned?

Hi Guys

Yes I'm a super-spec'er.

All they've done is shot blast the rear axle then prime it, the rest is up to us to check out. Although you would expect them to be a little bit more thorough :o But I haven't seen any of the other guys with SS's talking about this problem, mebbe I was just lucky ;)

Just phoned Richard and he's sorting out a replacement. Didn't seem too keen to start with, till I described the gratering noise coming out of it when I twirled the propshaft flange B) "Ah... yes, you probably do need a replacement for that then" he said

:rolleyes:

e

Yep, all road legal :p

DVLA man didn't even look at the recon rear axle! He saw the certificate of newness from RHSC and said that was sufficient. He did look at engine number and chassis numer though. Also took note of speedo reading. I supplied him with original receipts / invoice for car and that was good enough! ;)