Superspec Petrol Tank

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi,

Just a quick note for anyone building a super spec. I was after a way of covering the electrics and fuel pipes where they go into the sender unit the other day, and discovered that a 4" Stainless Steel hampster feeding dish ( :huh: ) available from Pets at Home etc can be employed to make a rather neat cover. If you cut a small section out of the side of the dish for the pipes and wires to go through it fits perfectly over the sender unit and covers the pipes etc from any knocks and bangs which might dislodge them.

I know that they say a picture says a thousand words so I'll take some piccys tonight and post them. :p

Phill.

P.S. Don't ask how I managed to get from a hampster feeding dish to a pipe guard. It's the voices in my head they just seem to suggest these things. :blink:

Guest Friar Tuck

I like it ! Very enterprising!

With regard to the bends on the pipes, I heated my pipes in boiling water and slipped them through a 15mm copper pipe bend to prevent any crushing. I then put a false floor above the tank, using ply to make up spacers, so that nothing can interfere with the pipes or electrics.

I must sort my photos out and get a web site up and running. Lots of notes to write up too !!!

Well done Phill

Tuck

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Dredd,

As Friar suggests, I heated the pipes under the grill but you have to watch it as it will melt if you're not careful, so I kept putting them under and pulling out every few seconds until it was maliable (sp?) and then bent them with some small bore copper pipe inserted to stop it kinking.

The cover :p (read hampster dish) actually fits really snuggly into the inner lip of the sender unit. It's slightly too big to fit until you cut away the side, at which point you can squeeze it in and it springs back to give a tight fit.

Phill.