Noise

Guest horncock

Guest horncock

I have a "Ivor Searl" 2l recon pinto in my s111 (done about 2.5K miles) and I always thought it sounded a bit " tappety" a have adjusted the tappets a few times, but no difference.

I wasn,t really too bothered until a friend bought a Westfield with a 2.1pinto which sounds totaly different, quiet and smooth ( It has had a lot of money spent on it).

What could be causing this noisy, any suggestion?

Regards Richard.

Guest paul thompson

Badly fitted cam wearing out the followers or vice versa also a possibility, Freind of mine bought a car which had bills for a new cam incl fitting, even saw the old one. quiet for 5,000 miles then tapetty tappety, tappety, knackered cam.

We've had similar problems with a couple of cams, up here.

Karl bought a stage 3 tuned engine from Euro Engines, within 500 miles the cam looked worse than an old 3d piece, and was throwing followers off. Euro Engines wouldn't honour the G/tee, Beware!! :angry:

Next, Geoff bought a full cam kit from Burtons (after asking which they would recommend), within 50 miles that had knackered the followers, and put small flats on the tips of the cam lobes. we believe that they've supplied the wrong followers, but Burtons won't do a thing about it! Beware! :angry:

Both these engines had their tappets set to the correct gaps, unfortunately due to incorrect geometry, things wore very quickly.

After the poor after-sales service from both these suppliers, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

If you've got a "lumpy" cam in it, then have a good look at everything for signs of irregular wear patterns.