Alloy Sump Removal

Guest Charles B

Guest Charles B

Has anyone removed an alloy sump off a 2b with the engine in place. Can I do it if I lift the engine up a bit?

I just had a slight accident with a man hole cover, which left a large chunk of sump, and all the oil on the ground. That's the main problem with alloy sumps, they don't bend. It also broke my right hand engine mount. I think the engine is O.K. I didn't lose oil pressure, and sheared the gearbox mount!

I've only just put a new engine in as well :boohoo: :boohoo:

Guest Charles B

Unfortunately it was in the unadopted rough road which goes past my house ( I live in the middle of no-where). I'm usually very careful, but not this time for some reason. It's only a short distance back home, so I could push it there.

I think a bit of surgery on the man-hole may be in order...

Hi Charles

I have managed to change mine with the engine in. It was a bit of a squeeze....

I jacked my engine up by the gearbox.

One thing to watch is the exaust manifold . I managed to puncture my brake master cylinder .

If you need a hand let me know

cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Charles

Sorry to hear about your Sump.

You must have been upset to say the least!!

After all your good work.

How did the engine go anyway were you happy with the rebuild result.

Was the alloy Sump abit lower than a cut down tin can ?

regards

Colin

Guest Charles B

All back in one piece now, I had a spare ally sump. It's about the same depth as a cut down steel sump. I'm making a belly plate to fit under it and fix to the cross tube. bit late really! Engine runs great, but very noisy, so new silencer being made.

Guest falcon402
:( I have been looking for an alloy sump to replace my batterd old tin one...speed bumps! grrrrrrr!. Looks like its time for a rethink as the alloy ones are still vulnerable. I think I will have to go for a custom shortened tin one with increased capacity and baffles..... now where did I hide my mig welder?

Guest Charles B

Yes, I have the alloy bell housing, and it has two bolts which screw through it into the bottom of the sump.

I've got a spare steel sump so that when I break this one (only a matter of time) I'll fit a chopped down one with a sloping plate welded to it for good measure.

I've made up a sloping belly plate, so you never know, this one might last for a bit..