Fuel Pipe

Guest klaxon

Can any body tell me if i can use 8mm O/D copper tubing for the fuel line, and if so does it have to be type approved or can I use caravan gas tubing. The alternative seems to be the black plastic stuff which is simular to the vacuum tube on the servo which is very difficult to bend.

I reckon all metal tubing is fine. Be careful of anything with soldered joints - make sure they're sealed. Petrol finds holes which water won't. I used stainless fuel lines and they're very smart and tidy, but troublesome to bend to the correct shapes. Any flexi rubber hosing must be marked as suitable for fuel use.

As with anything like this, if in doubt ask your intended SVA station.

Ant

Guest paul thompson

The plastic fuel tube can be bent, you need to put something up the inside like a brake tube, bend it to shape and heat it in an oven to 165 degrees for 10 mins then let coll down, remove brake tube and robert is suddenly related to your father. Things to watch for are that you have enough straight at the end so that the last bend doesn't cause the tube to go oval, then trim it to the right length. otherwise that is the production method for this type of tube. If using any type of plastic connector inserted into the tube DO THIS COLD!!!!!. it is the hoop stresses in the tube that stop it from leaking, doing it warm will cause the hoop stresses to relax and the seal will be dodgy!

Guest captn Pugwash

any plumbers merchant, plumb centre , graham gratrix, plumb shop, dewsons.

Its used in central heating, called soft copper on the roll. Get the saddle clips in copper or the stainles ones with rubber inserts

CAptn

Thanx a lot guys. I'll give the test centre a bell tomorrow just to check, then I think I'll go to the plumbers merchant for some copper tube, its bound to be cheaper than the caravan centre.

Thanx again.

Cheers

OK I rang the Watnall test centre yesturday and the vehicle tester guy was very amenable and eager to help. He said copper tube of the type used in micro-bore central heating was fine as long as it is fastened with proper clips (not tie wraps) and that it is not routed next to sharp edges or electrical wiring. In other words a dose of common sense should do it.

An interesting snippet that Mr SVA told me at Chadderton was that Westfield use cable ties to secure brake pipes and fuel pipes, and this has now been approved "for westfields"

Good eh?

Kieran :wacko: