Megasquirt

Guest Si_P

I'm currently in the final stages of my 2B build using a 2.0l injection pinto. But looking forward to the next phase in development I am tempted by the Megasquirt systems.

Has any one used this with an injection pinto and if so what kind modifications will be necassary to make it work?

Si

Guest trickytiker

hi

don't think many hoodys have tried it but Colin King (Mad Max) my mate will be receiving his any day now and will be assembling it as soon as he gets it, he has done a lot of research on it so he will be the one to ask .we're in the Northwest Hoodies so keep in touch. :rolleyes:

best regards

kevin

Guest Charles B

I have a megasquirt system fitted to my 2.0 pinto. I'm running only spark at the moment with twin Dellortos, and with the latest software which gives 12x12 map tables. I'm making some throttle bodies and hope to fit them in the not too distant future. If you already have an injection engine, it will be a straightforward conversion. Some people have used an old Ford ecu and taken the socket off it, and used it to make an adapter onto the standard loom. There aren't that many wires, and a new loom would be neater. A wide band lambda kit is well worth getting to make the setting up easier. Tech edge sell a good kit.

I had been considering a lambda sensor others seemed to have been canabilising GM sensors but the tech edge stuff looks very neat.

I have also looked at the mega jolt stuff but I was under the impression this was not easily compatable with the pinot ignition system. Am I correct in assuming this?

Guest Charles B

The standard megasquirt unit will do fuel and ignition on just about any engine. You just load in the different settings. The megajolt is for EDIS only. and only does spark.

I use this software Megasquirtnspark extra which is a mix of all the various set ups plus loads of extra goodies. It hooks straight up to a narrow band sensor.

I use a standard injection distributor- no mech or vacuum advance, and a Bosch ignition module- just about any will do if it is for a hall effect dizzi.

The relay board (by the battery) is useful if you are tinkering with the system.

re megasquirt, I would recommend you wait a while before ordering a megasquirt kit as a new all singing all dancing version is about to be launched in the new year. All the info is on the new megasquirt sites. My project is fitting a zetec se 1600 to my 2b with homemade throttle bodies and ford edis4 ignition all controlled by magasquirt. the mechanical side is complete and I am expecting delivery of MS kit any day now.

Colin

Guest Charles B

Yes the ultra megasquirt looks really good ( they have been working on it for ages) The only thing I would say, is to give it probably a year to let all the experts iron out any bugs, as it is such a complicated new system.

on the subject of megasquirt you need to enter the capacity of the fuel injectors to tune properly. I am finding it difficult to get info on the seimens injectors used in the 1.6 zetec SE engine. I have tried the web with no success can anyone help?

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

looks like mega squirt is definatly on the cards for me (a new toy to play with) the next quest (other than building it ) will be to find data for the ve tables for a pinto (as a starting point)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a megasquirt up and running using extra edis fuel and spark modification on a 1600 zetec se engine. The kit ordered from glens garage in USA is first class although delivery can take 6 or 7 weeks. Total cost was under £130 inc delivery and vat. The megasquirt forum is excelent and very nessesary for new users. All software can be downloaded free from the forum and tried out prior to building a megasquirt ecu. I am tuning at the moment and will post a more detailed report soon.

Colin :)

Guest Charles B

Keep us informed on your progress, Colin. My friend ChrisP is changing his pinto for a zetec at the moment, and I have made up a megasuirt ready for it. I run a megasquirt on my pinto with the latest squirt n spark firmware, and it runs great.

I haven't played with the edis setup yet, but it looks straightforward?