What Poundage Springs?

TANGO

Anyone got a view on standard cortina Mk4 springs on the back of an early S7.

I've got a nice shiny set in a box for xmas, together with adjustable GAZ shocks, but rated at 380lbs......!

Too stiff perchance?

Guest salty_monk

Pretty simple to swap the springs for something lighter. Cost you about £20. Try Raldes.co.uk (rally design) if you're down south. They'll let you exchange undamaged ones until you get the right rate. (Yours might also be lowering springs which you may or may not want I guess...)

The shocks will be fine if they are adjustable... Not sure if it's a direct swap though unless you have a Cortina based car...

Hi Salty,

Yes I have Cortina based car with Cortina back axle.

Springs are standard Mk4 springs. (These are the longest they do as MK 5 are half an inch shorter) I wanted the longest due to low ground clearance.

But rated at 380 lbs ?? ( this is standard) I presume I had standard springs on before but I always felt it was soggy at back (I hope due to springs being 26 years old)

Oh well I'll throw them on and see.

Cheers chaps

Do your shocks still lean in towards the centre of the car?

I used shorter coil-overs and brought them vertical with new upper mounts (and suitable re-inforcing of the boot floor. I then wound the seats of the coil-overs right off and left the original springs in place. The idea was that I could soften it off by removing the Cortina springs and winding the coilovers up a little or stiffen it up by leaving the Cortina springs in place and winding up the coilovers. As it happened it was about right when two up but possibly a little firm when on my own.

My springs were 220lb and from GTS Tuning. He does "standard" packages for Locosts and my coilovers were a pair of the rear springs on a pair of the front shocks. I think :wacko:

Iain

Guest horncock

What rate are the Red Zimmmerframe springs? I have a S3, what should I fit front & back? I have some secondhand spax units from a friends westfield. Is there any way of tell what poundage s/h springs are?

Regards Richard Anderson

Guest chris brown
Is there any way of tell what poundage s/h springs are?
I have seen the poundage stamped into the spring on the last coil about 1/2 inch from one end but this is not the case for all

As for red Zimmerframes haven’t got a clue but green I believe are 180lb

Guest salty_monk

I think the locost catalogue tells you the rate for the red.... Think they may be the 220's as the catalogue says 2 180lb units & two 220lb units 9" long by 2 1/8 internal dimaeter 14"open length & 10" closed.

Width of the ends is 35mm.

Out of interest the Spax ones they sell are 2 x 180 & 2 x 250 open 317mm closed 273mm.

Richard, assuming you have the inboard shockers on your 3 the red springs were 180lbs /in. the black ones were 130lbs/in. But as all things Hoody I bought some 130lb ones from locost which were red! as apparently they had changed the supplier so colour alone is not always an indicator. Some springs I have seen have the poundage marked on the flat ground end so if you remove the spring from the spax units all may be revealed, but not necessarily!

Peter :wacko: