Safe

Guest Chris.A.

Guest Chris.A.

:( :( :( nowt to do wth Robin Hoods....but I`m a HOODIE in stress!! :( :( :(

The Mrs. saw a safe in B&Q. "That`s handy to keep my jewellry in"she sez, so, like a tit , bought one. Now , I have to say, I finished my Robin Hood 7 years ago so all other tasks seem meaningless , Yup , me `art `aint really in it,to be honest. So I got up yesterday,thought, "there`s an old abandoned chimney breast in our bedroom,ideal cavity for the safe !" so I thrashed a gaping hole in the bedroom wall, only to discover that there was a flu beyond......*bleep*!!!!.....wrong place, (after a bit of measuring, thought) that is the downstairs fire place. So I thrashed another hole 3 feet to the right,....bingo! empty cavity . fitted the safe ,and so as to insulate it from condensation I pumped 3 tins of expanding foam through the hole in the back. :) :) smashin` job! :) had difficulty opening safe this morning as the bloody thing was solid with foam, took me 4 hours to extract Mams jewellry. :angry: ( the foam had leaked through one of the holes in the back ennit! :( next thing ya no , next doors Monoxide detector is goin` bowzoid and theres a 4 foot mushroom growing in their bedroom wordrobe ??????? :huh: :unsure:

so some of you lads recon building a ROBIN HOOD is difficult,frought with problems, eh?

Golden rule of DIY:

"Never piss about with flues or supporting walls"

But you know that now of course...

I hope the foam isn't anywhere near the flue for downstairs, otherwise the heat might cause it to release nasty fumes. It'd be wise to check.

Interesting thought about seats. You could get a bare seat shell, lay a large bin liner in it, sit down and pump the bin liner full of foam, then wait for it to set. Voila! Custom seat padding.

Chris, thanks for sharing!

so in the spirit of admitted idiocy, try this...

A good example... :D

Does anyone recall seeing a program on F1 when our Damon

wor nowt burra lad?

They sat him in a bare F1 tub, on a big plastic bag, which came up his back

& filled it with expanding foam to give them the shape for

his seat.

A not so good example..... :(

I built a boat once, from a bare fibreglass hull, fitted it out inside with

hardwood ribs & formers & an inner skin of marine ply (very expensive stuff!!).

Cafefully glued with Cascamite & brass screws, it took 9 months,

including 6 coats of yacht varnish, & rubbing down.

A work of art..a thing of beauty...

To add bouyancy, (anyone ahead of me here?)

we then filled the side cavities with mixed foam ingredients,

after carefully estimating what it would expand to...

Guessed it yet?

Yup, we sat horrified as the foam expanded from the rear of the boat, along

the side skin, pushing off the inner (very expensive) skin as it worked its way forward,

popping all the brass screws as it went.

Also, the foam is very very sticky. It took 3 weeks to clean it off the fibreglass,

the skin was ruined (bin job) and the formers had to be cut out & replaced

because the screws had to match the other side & there were broken brass screws

or big 'oles where they had to go.

The only place for foam is on a Cappucino...

Bob

Guest Andy Sparrow

Thats made our day here at work - even beats my monumental 'tow bar' cock up ---

In my younger days of course - once when fitting a tow bar to the Maestro Diesel, a good while back tha' 'nos.

Why do we always pick the time we are on our own to have these mishaps?

In my case all was going well with towbar fitting, I had drilled underneath for the supporting bar - even managed to avoid hitting the fuel tank!

The last two holes I needed to drill were in the rear inner back panel and the holes would exit near the rear valance, you may begin to get the idea.... yep I was merrily drilling away with a 10mm bit from inside the boot out towards the rear of the car, the going was slow - odd really as I didnt think BL/Rover put any 'real' metal in the Maestro, any how I got the first hole drilled no problems then onto the second (by this time the drill was almost cherry red). In order to get more force behind the black & decker I was leaning my legs hard against the rear exterior panel, yes the drill finally burst through and straight into my .... knee (it could have been much worse)

Apparently the casualty doctor told the wife - If the drill hadn't been so hot and cautorised the wound I could have bled to death in short order...

It must have looked comical really me rolling on the ground blood spurting out of my wound and not a sole in sight - still the scar is always a revolting talking point !

The Maestro rusted away before I had chance to complete the job...

A

Guest Andy Hamilton

Talking about the seats idea. You know of course that you can buy racing seats just like this. They come as a kit of 'plastic bag' 'polystyrene beads' and some gel mixture that sets hard after a few hours. A friend of mine who is racing in the Caterham graduates this year bought one of these babies for....... wait for it....... £275!! HA! How about Chris's idea of a couple of cans of expanding foam, OK 4 cans in chris's case, and a plastic bag. I could have saved him a fortune, or made myself a mint ;)

Guest Chris.A.
B) cheerz, lads,....just had a great idea for Miss Newark , this year.....off to B&Q to get some bin bags and half a dozen tins of foam. ( I`ll be renting her out at all major shows next year! when the mould has been rubbed down satisfactorily) :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: of course it may cost me a fortune getting her *bleep* enough to step into a bin bag while HOODIE members shake their cans and prime their nozzles. Of course, don`t know if it will work, would try on JIM STOTT first, but I can`t afford that much foam! :unsure: