Brakes

will

Hi Guys

A quick question about bleeding the brakes. I was talking to someone at the weekend and he said that it is a good idea to flush the system out with meths before filling with fluid. Is this common practice?

I'm not at this stage yet but thought I would ask to find out what some of you did.

Many thanks

Will

Guest paul thompson

I've never heard of that. I guess that the meths would evaporate, but I would be worried about weather there was any left in the system, it may not be comaptable with the brake fluid. No OEM's do that, the cost would be prohibitive and not at all necessary.

Guest chris brown

Will

Meths used to be the way to clean out break systems but I have not heard of anyone using it for years. I think the best way is to use lots of dot 4 or 5 (break and clutch fluid) and ensure that the fluid which is coming through the system and out of the bleed nipples is clean. I think the cheapest way to buy break fluid is in 5ltr can from a motor factor

Will

If you have used the Sierra master cylinder like I have then it is probably very dirty. I used meths to wash it out and left it to dry overnight before fitting and filling. You can now see the fluid level clearly and it looks almost new. No problems so far. :p

Peter

Guest Mike Perry

I need to clean out the master cylinder which I have left with fluid in it to keep the seals moist.

Can I use meths to clean this out and is it safe for the seals?

Guest Bob Rowell

Peter is right Mike, use clean fluid to flush the complete system. If you have anyone local who can lend you a pressure bleeder, that is the most effective way to flush and bleed without needing an assistant.

Hi Will

did my brakes B4 xmas, took about a bottle and a bits worth (the ones supplied by RH). I did buy a pressure bleeding kit that claimed to have a universal fitting for the resovoir lid <_< ...... unfortunately the 4 lids in the kit didn't fit the girling res I have :boohoo: (there was a note telling me I could go on-line and buy other lids)..... so I enlisted my son and did the brakes the old fashioned way :wub: .

Goodluck matey

e

• 2 weeks later...
Guest craig030774
:mellow: the way to use a pressure bleeder is to drop the tyre pressure to below 20 psi before you start,then open the bleed nipple connect the air supply until all the air is out of the brake line,disconnect the air supply and then close the bleed nipple.if you dont then brake fluid will come out of the resivoir, i know i had to repaint mine

• 1 month later...