Fuel Filler Pipe Seal

Guest bloke

hi, does ne1 have a neat way of sealing the filler pipe to tank union - intending to use the sierra donut and cut filler pipe on the horizontal bit and join with rubber to correct the awful angle of entry to tank...?

the sloppy bits are the tank to donut seal and the filler pipe to donut

Hi, This is 1 of those jobs I think I've completed. I bought a new tank seal from ford (£2.50), cut about a 4 to 5 inch section from the Sierra filler pipe. Tie wrapped the flexible hose supplied by RH to this then tie wrapped the other end to the filler assembly. The bit I cut from the sierra filler then just pushes into the tank seal like on the sierra.

If anyone thinks this will displease Mr SVA, let me know!!!

Nicko

I agree about the hose clips. Can't have petrol leaking onto the testing station floor, can you! As regards what will upset Mr SVA, my inspector didn't seem overly worried about what was in the boot - I don't recall him asking me to unlock it even - but you never know, do you.

For info I used the doughnut off the sierra tank, the bottom end of the sierra filler pipe, a bit of flexible hose (with hose clips) and a 45 degree piece of plastic angled rainwater pipe (having made sure it wasn't made of the sort of plastic which dissolves is petrol) and a flush fitting lockable cap. Been OK for over a year now - touch wood!.

Best of luck anyway

Andy C

I've got a RH fuel tank in my attic that has a leaky sender unit problem, I haven’t fixed it yet but I know why it leaks :D .

The sender has had everything done to it to stop it leaking but the leak is actually coming from the mounting screws that are welded into the tank outside the radius of the sender so no amount of sealing the actual sender would work.

I'm going to fix it with fuel tank sealant (the 2 part plastazine type stuff) when I come to use the tank ;).

I want to here more about using a steering rack gaiter as a fuel filler if anyone knows

I had exactly the same problem. It was not the seal that was leaking but fuel would find it's way up the thread on the sender securing studs fixed to the tank. I used blue hylomar around the bottom of the threads followed by a rubber washer, metal washer and the nut, all clamped down tight. No sign of a leak in the past 2 years.

Les

Guest cwing79

I'm just on this part now, sounds interesting, just for info i've bought myself a new rubber doughnut seal from mr ford's and i have used flexibale exhaust very petrol resistant!

Guest Alan_builder

:rolleyes: I have made a clamp out of copper waterpipe, a simple open ring with protruding arms (like a letter G but the bars go out from the top curl and the inward strike) these are flattened, bent back and drilled to take an M4 nut and bolt to do the tightening. I used Microbore copper pipe (Bigger than brakepipe) central heating. To bend this I used a blowlamp to heat to make bending easier. The copper pipe is drawn into the grove on the petrol tank gland and also onto the filler pipe. End result can (Just) be seen

http://www.promec-services.co.uk/Hood1/PICT0083.JPG

Got a better idea?

Update

oh!

CHANGING photo file name didn't do what I expected there are now 2 pictures IMG_0083.JPG & PICT0083.JPG @ the moment the website link says one and takes you to the other. If you can't see detail change the filename in your browser and refresh your image.

Guest Alan_builder

:unsure: I purchased an elbow from Europa, cost a fortune £25. This will connect the RH large petrol tank with the standard Sierra filler tube (when cut off) to the RH filler cap. (2B4)

The petrol pipe material is a special grade rubber with reinforcing. For safety I paid the money after asking why the aero industry bother to make such pipes and elbows. Not many plastics are really petrol proof just because they don’t melt the instant they come in contact with petrol. Please don’t just satisfy or conceal from the SVA man, make your car safe get a product made for this job.

Have you been in a car fire? I have!

my thoughts have developed to a possible solution,

sierra donut used with blue gasket in the recess

rh filler down pipe used but OD increased with ptfe tape to get tight fit and squeeze donut onto tank???

what do you think?...