Diff Clearance!

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

3.92 7" (through top bolt) - Noisy on throttle, new seals fitted did approx 1k miles on them. - Free if you want it!

3.62 7" (through top bolt) - New seals fitted 1k miles ago - Free.

3.92 7.5" Diff (Blind top bolts) new seals fitted & never used (didn't fit) - appreciate cost of new seals (£13) but otherwise as above!!

Seems a shame to bin them, the 7.5 went on Ebay a while back but no interest. Can anyone tell me what it comes off of? Must be one model of Sierra or Granada or something.... I *May* be able to get a LSD (similar to Quaife) fitted into the 3.92 housing for £200 -£250 if anyone is interested....

:)

Guest paul mercer

The 7.5" diff is a Sierra cosworth one. All sierra diffs are 7" otherwise.

They are worth quite a bit.

Maybe if you advertised it on e-bay for that, it would get you more interest. It will also have a LSD in it.

You might find that the lsd out of the 7.5" will bolt into the 7" casing.

Paul.

Guest salty_monk

I'm doubtful that the 7.5" is an LSD as it's not Lobro & I'm pretty sure I tested it to see what happens when you turn the Propshaft & it was same as a regular diff... Pete Cherry may know more as it came from him.

I'll try to check it later when i dig it out of a corner, will defo try ebaying it again as a Cosworth one if that's what it is....

Guest paul mercer

Dan,

i can't remember exactly what mine does, but i think it will still spin like normal when you turn it by hand. It only acts as an lsd when there is a huge difference in speeds. It locks due to heat build up in the fluid surrounding the diff plates.

Of course, i may be wrong..

Guest salty_monk

Markings say... I think... Definitely a 3.92 as Pete counted the teeth & I counted the prop to wheel turn ratio by hand.

On cover plate Ford G 36 2833 - BA III/1

Prop end side of body casting 85884025GB

19/8/89 - manufacture date presumably...

Guest paul mercer

Dan,

Mine came off of an xr4x4i. They has an LSd as standard. The one you're showing looks the same as my donor one. When i changed it for the xr4x4i lsd one, the holes at the top of the diff were slightly different. The top of the diff fits into the rear beam, but the xr4x4i one was narrower. Spacers fixed that problem though.

I've been told that you can take the lsd mechanism out of the xr4x4i diff and bolt it onto the standard diff, not sure why you'd want to unless the casing was broken.

You're welcome to come and compare it with the one on my car if you want. My original dohc one is only round the corner at bobs, so we could grab that and compare if you want.

Paul

I think you will find that any 7" or 7.5" ford sierra/granada LSD has the larger lobro drive shafts that bolt to diff output flanges. To muddy the waters some of the standard diffs on later cars also had lobros fitted. The only way to tell them apart is to turn one output shaft and if thay both go the same direction it is LSD.

The 7.5 " diff is mostly fitted to granadas and will not fit the normal sierra crossmember.

Colin

Hi Guys,

I also have a collection of diffs. 6 including Paul's.

Two of them are LSDs (dont ask!!!)

When you turn the pinion on a free standing LSD, both drive shaft joints turn the same way, without much resistance. The standard ones turn in different directions. If you lock the LSD pinion, & turn one drive shaft the other one turns the other way, but with very high resistance. Thats the LSD coming into play.

All 6 diffs measure 7" across the top mounting flange.

HTH Bob.

Guest chris brown

Rizla I think all LSDs are 3.62. Well all I have come across are, but that said I believe it is possible to load the LSD unit into a standard housing but setting up the backlash etc afterwards is not easy