1.8 Zetec

Peter Bell

How badly do the valves hit the pistons on a 1.8 zetec when the cam belt breaks? does anyone know? Not mine but a young lady at work. The good thing about not having a belt cover on is you can easily see the condition it is in and how much tension it is under!

Peter.

Guest Takumi

Hi,

I've recently rebuilt a zetec 1.8 head, I didnt think the valves lifted very far off the seat . The hydraulic followers loose lift aswell, and you've also got the head gasket thickness away from the pistons...

I hope it is a safe head..

If it has bent a few valves, atleast it not an ultra rare engine.. you can pick up another head for £30..

tak

My Autodata cd says this:-

CAUTION: This engine has been identified as an INTERFERANCE engine in which the possibility of valve to piston damage in the event of a timing belt failure is MOST LIKELY to occur.

So possible damage: valves, pistons, con rods, head, etc.

This would be my approach (FWIW)

Turn the engine over by hand GENTLY see if theres any binding, If not retime and fit new belt. Turn over again by hand GENTLY if OK do compression check if not head off for examination.

HTH

Greg

Guest Takumi

Is your engine a pre 1995 Zetec?(which has "DOHC" on the cam cover) or the later Zetec-E (which has "16 Valve" on the cam cover) or maybe the latest Zetec 1998-on (which has black plastic cam cover)

Cant see why its soo much...

tak

Tak I can't remember I am afraid, it is in a K reg Fiesta I don't know if it was the original fitment, the car has been 'Rude boyed' with lots of plastic bits big spoiler etc. It was serviced 2 weeks before when her boy friend was asked, shall we change the cam belt? He should have said yes! so don't blame her.

Peter.

Guest Takumi

Hi,

Is that 1992/3 if it has the original engine (boy Racer RS1800??) it will be the mk1 Zetec. I had a cylinder head for that engine which I had done work to, but alas it sold on ebay for pittence..£45

It still only cost me £25 from DonorSpares (Ipswich) is was complete and only needed a good clean to be usable. Gasket sets are about £40,

They often advertise there aprts on ebay, but they wack big postage on most of there stuff,

tak