My Legs Are Hot

Guest Rob Walters

Guest alan rowe

Hi all

I too have an overheating problem -- I reckon my engine is too much for the space and little air to keep it cool

I don't want to put any vents in the bonnet (I've got 2 openings in it already)

Has anybody got any experience in venting in the side panel (both sides) and how effective it might be - the last thing I want to do is cut a hole and regret it for ever more if it doesn't work

It might sound a bit daft but on really hot days has anybody tried lifting the back end of the bonnet (using a spacer) and would this help in getting the heat out

Alan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a 2B, there's no problem in putting the vents in the side panels, as they aren't the main strength of the car, as opposed to the monocque versions where the "tub" is the chassis.

To your other question, yes people have 'lifted' the back edge of the bonnet and fitted a couple of spacers, leaving large gaps for air to be expelled.

you must remember, this will not correct an engine that is running too hot, but it will allow the engine to run sweeter, due to it getting cooler air. It's even better if you pipe that air straight in to the carb from outside the bonnet, without it going through the radiator and around the engine bay a few times first.

Guest Angel Boy
Yes, something like that! But Andy, no-one knows if it works or not, we never see you out in it! Will the wife not let you?

:D ;)

:lol: :D :lol: ;)

Sorry, but it just made me laugh. all most spilt my cuppa everywhere :lol:

Andy

Guest alan rowe

Hi BJ

My Hood is not a 2B -- does that mean it would be unwise to cut into the side panels ?

If I don't want to spoil my bonnet (see the photo on www.freewebs.com/sg7skitcars ) do you have any ideas how I can get the heat out of the engine compartment -- anything would help

Alan

Alan,

Mines not a 2B, it's a mark 3, so I put mine in the sides of the bonnet so as not to loose any strength.

You can get vents with 3 louvers (I have these) 5 louvers (same width but longer) and 8 & 10 louvers, these are longer but narrower, in retrospect, I would have liked the 8 louver ones.

post-10-1054744732.jpg

Guest Andy Sparrow

In answer to your query the funny thing on top of my carb is called a plenum and its available from the carb hospital or other good weber dealers (seem to remember it was around 20 quid ish) the great thing about it is it fits the 32/36 DGAV or the 38 DGAS and you can 'modify' it for height clearance, so no more dodgy sponge job filter hitting the bonnet, also colder air input via a nose cone mounted filter with ram air effect at speed, certainly noticed the performance difference from the previous carb mounted air filter jobbie.

Only one problem - in winter theres a little carb icing but I'm working on a way around that !

Heres a pic of some bonet vents I have installed - Jims right the 3 way ones look way crap...

post-10-1054749885.jpg

Guest Andy Sparrow

Jon

funny thing that I was just looking around for a bike (have had a full license for 20 years) but would be best described as a 'born again biker' since I ve not ridden since 1995 and that was ajust a 250 commuter bike for work....

But I know what you mean - cant beat a bike for sheer freedom, speed & performance, the hood comes the closest of all the cars I ve had so far - even better than my last one a TR8 pic attached....

post-10-1054754266.jpg

Guest alan rowe

Jim -- thanks for the info and the photo attachment - your louvres look excellent and also will do the job - it may well change my thinking about fitting into the bonnet now -- where did you get them from and how are they actually fitted

Alan

Hi Alan, They came from a 'ships chandler' for the nicest, go for the 8 louver ones, they are narrower and longer, the louver is a different shape too, they do look good.

Just put "ship chandler" in 'Google' and find the one nearest to you, if they don't have them in, they should have a catalogue with them in. The best shop , from memory, is marine store or something like that, down in Southampton.

To put them in, first check that they will not interfer with anything under the bonnet, as approx 1" sticks through into the bonnet. cover the whole area with masking tape, mark around the body of the vent onto the masking paper, then all you have to do is cut out the hole!! :huh: I actually used the disc grinder, cutting about ½" away from the lines first until I had a hole, then slowly grinding back until I reached the lines. drill out the holes, then I put a bead of sillycone around the flange, and rivited it on with s/s rivits.

If i find the shop, I'll put a link on here later.

Guest Andy Sparrow

I tried cutting the holes for my vents with a metal cutting disc in my angle grinder but the metal started to discolour, so I ended up buying some metal cutting blades for the B&D jig saw, this seemed a more precise and less accident prone way of achieving the accurate shaped apertures required.

I got the louvres from this web site they do all the different sizes / types etc:

http://www.pcsboatbits.co.uk/html/cabin2.asp