Alternator Mounting

Longboarder

Been round to see progress on a 2B build and looking at the alternator mounting problem. Has anyone thought of mounting it on the other side of the engine. As a new bracket is needed anyway it just looked a neat solution. Tons of space if you lose the mechanical fuel pump. There are two tapped drillings in the block, perfectly placed and another just in front and below the filter. Plenty of spare holes tapped at the front of the inlet manifold face on the head for the tensioner. Or am I overlooking something obvious.

Nigel

Guest Phil Slater

Nigel,

Looks like we are straying into virgin territory here, given all the responces you've got!!??!! But, it still seems like a possible option to me and I'll be giving it a go............... after I've got my firewall in............and maybe the fuel feed...........you know how it is!!

Phil

The normal problem is the mechanical fuel pump. But like you say once you have gotten rid of that there is loads of room. That's why Ford fit the air-con pump over there. More relevant to us maybe is that many dry-sump kits fit the oil pump over there. I was debating it as a contingency but didn't have any trouble with the alternator where it was so I chickened out. Go for it.

Iain

Guest neil gale

Nigel

I have just been for MOT and failed for the alternator contacting the steering column. Its easily fixed with the next size down belt, but i am going to make a new bracket. The engine rocks to the right as you rev, so even if there is a gap this gets less as you rev - which is how mine contacts.

Either lift it higher above the steering column or like you said fit it at the other side where there is lits of room. Only problem then is re-wiring all the terminals back to the other side of the engine bay (easy if you are still building the car).

Looks like a good idea to me, why cram everything into one side.

Neil.

Guest michael

Hi there i mounted my alternator under the steering shaft a bit of fiddling but fits nice dosent touch and looks good.doesent git hot from the 4 branch either.reg.mike