Shortend Pinto Sumps

Snapperpaul

I am off to some friend this week with the plans from NW Hoodies shorten sump project to see how much they would do one for. I think that in previouse threads that a price of £40 to £50 was mentioned for this mod, does this sound about right?

How many people would be interested? Please e-mail me and i will add up the positives. How much would a sump from the scrappies be? around where i live the scrappies can be a bit expensive so whats a reasonable price and could we buy in bulk? My proposal to my engineering mates would be for the modified sump un painted only, you supply the sump and modify the pick up. One last thing how thick should the steel plate for the bottom be?

Iawait the flood of interest.

Guest chris brown
how thick should the steel plate for the bottom be
I would suggest that it should be 3mm minimum and the drain plug needs to be in the side as in the North West site build tips. Some people have said they would like to see it curved up towards the front so as not to have a sharp front edge to hit but I have not found it a problem as the plough sits slightly lower.

Sure the pick up has to be modded, however i would not like to be responsible, directly or indirectly for anyones engine being starved of oil. If i get my pickup modded and it works without trouble i may be able to get my mates to set up for that bit as well. lets see what response i get. early days.

Guest Jaffer

Snapper,

This is how I did mine, just thought it looked a bit tidier than the 'lean-to' :rolleyes: on the side. The bottom is slightly shaped to allow the drain plug to drain all but a spoonful of oil, whereas the 'common' mod leaves the plug further up and would normally have a flat/level bottom, leaving rather more old oil in when changing :rolleyes: .

There are other possible advantages regarding oil surge on cornering etc that are avoided by putting the extra capacity in front, but this would only really be an issue on either mod if the oil level was allowed to get too low. A disadvantage with my design is that it is probably more time consuming and hence more expensive. I just thought I'd chuck in another possibility!! :D

[No doubt someone will find some other disadvantages!!! :wacko: ;) ]

Jaff

PS It has a large radius on the front too Chris, but this is behind the chassis bar...

post-6-1113162589.jpg

Jaffer's solution looks great, but I don't think sumps modified like that will fit 2B/4's and Sub K's because the "plough" is a straight bar and is not shaped like the wishbone chassis.

Just something to think about when looking at numbers!

Just been to the scrappers and SOHC pinto's are like rocking horse poo, the ones i did find, the scrappies did not want to split. Is the sump the same on the DOHC? as they had a few of them. Also asked about shortening the pickup no problem said the engineers so i will get a price for both jobs. a ball park figure for both jobs is "no more than £75, probably less but more than £50". I will let you know what the finnished price is.