Am I Being Too Optimistic ?

Guest Ruffwood

Guest Ruffwood

I'll be in position in 2-3 months to buy a new car and will ideally be after a Hood ready to roll, as unfortunately I don't have the time/space/expertise to build one myself.

As well as the fun aspect, I will use it for a 30 mile daily commute in the sunny North East.

Now the problem. I'll have a max £2.5 k to spend and most of the ads seems to be well over £3 k. The cosmetic side is not too important, as I'm more than happy to do that myself over time as long as the car remains on the road.

Am I being unrealistic/over-optimistic, or do they come on the market at this price and still be reliable ?

Guest chris brown
Am I being unrealistic/over-optimistic
I think you are for anything that is half decent. With that sort of money you may have to go for one that is 90% complete (a very variable term) and then go on a steep learning curve on how to finish it off and get it through the dreaded SVA test. This method has to be far more satisfying than driving one someone else built completely and let’s face it there is lots of help available so you should never be in a position where you are completely stuck.

People have found Hoods for less than that, but they will be the monocoque cars, not the 2B range, (nothing wrong with them though, I have a mk 3) they usually need a bit of TLC to get them nice again. If you see one, then you'll have to be quick, and be prepared to travel for it, it won't happen on your doorstep, you can be certain of that!

Guest Battery Bill

Like Chris says Be careful buying a 90% built one (Even a 99% built one) as they always have a lot more to do to finish than you are led to believe :rolleyes:

If you could scrape together a few more hundred quid you should look at Guys sub K, look in the for sale section. Guy used it as his day to day transport throughout the year, all weather gear is fitted and he has had very few problems with it (Apart from the odd bucket rolling down the road :lol: )

Good luck in whatever route you end up going

Bill

Guest Ruffwood

Thanks for the tips.

Gav's one looks v. nice (but then they all seem to vary from v. nice to f..... georgeous)

I do like the fact it's got a 'standard' engine and desireable as a nicely tweaked engine is, I'm a bit concerned about the practicalities of a daily commuting grind.

Looks like it's a case of scanning the for sale boards or waiting a while ....and patience is not my strong point :boohoo:

Guest coopsuk

Keep searching, something will come up within your budget.

Ebay, is always worth keeping an eye on too, but as summer gets closer the prices will climb.

Be prepared to travel.

Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

try findit.co.uk

on ebay things will probably get bid too high.

Defiantely be able to travel silly distances to get the right one (i did 500 miles in a day :o )

But most of all be patient! Just when i thought my luck was out... something appeared... :D

Guest coopsuk

I agree with the comment about ebay prices do have a tendance to climb.

However must people will let you come and view before bidding.

So turn up, view, test drive and if it is what you want make an offer, it's always handy to have a handful of cash waving about when you make that offer.

That is what I did and it worked for me!

Guest docter fox

keep an eye out in places that you wouldn't expect, I picked my S7 up out of a classic car newspaper, travelled down to Reading from east yorkshire and gave the guy a cheque :)

be prepared to wait and travel and you will find the right car for you, but if you get one that needs work doing it is very easy to spend a lot of money :rolleyes:

Guest Guy

Hi Ruff,

Don't forget that the SVA is £150, then £30 for the re-test (they don't often pass first time :lol: ) then £35 to get it registered, £30 for number plates, road tax, petrol to drive all the places. The whole SVA process will cost around £300 plus any parts you need to get it through. I still think a '99% complete' can be a false economy.

It's still here and my ears are still ringing from driving it 17 miles into work this morning :D , but the best bit is I've got another 17 miles in the sunshine this evening to get home :D :D :D

I bought an untouched series 3 with almost everything included and whilst it's a slow build i have spent 220 hrs and £2,200 (including kit price) and its only just ready to put wheels on. I will be lucky to get under £3500 all in on the road.

Push the boat out, borrow a bit more and you won't be sorry.

Guest Handlebars

I did a 400 mile round trip to view a rough one for £4,200. That evening saw a 3a on ebay for £3,400 Offered the opening price, and it was outside my house two days later. Up until I changed jobs and got a company van, it was my daily driver. In rain and snow too! You won't regret it. :)

Guest Ruffwood

Guy,

I've played your video a couple of times and it does sound fantastic....even with your Dad's commentary :D

I'll see how things are in a couple of months time ( for various reasons, maily funding, I can't do anything until mid/end July) and in the unlikely event that you haven't sold it, I'll be very interested.