Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

Just sorting out a 2.0l Pinto engined 2B I've bought. The previous owner fitted a RH 4-1 exhaust only to find that it fouled the steering shaft and then gave up! Well I've sorted that problem out only to find that the manifold / cylinder head joints are all blowing despite being well tightened, gaskets fitted etc. I've made sure the nuts haven't bound on the unthreaded portion of the stud as well. I suppose I'll have to take it all apart again and have a good look, however thought I'd ask and see if there were any known problems in this area. If all looks OK I think I might fit 2 gaskets per joint so I get more squish to take out misalignement. :(

Not a problem I have come across before. Suggest remove manifold and clean joint faces, then check each with a straight edge. If you think it is not pulling up tight then pop some washers under the nuts not double gaskets. The manifolds are springy enough to take up minor misalignment I would have thought.

Nigel

Guest chris brown

As Nigel says not heard of the problem with the 4 into 1 it is the mild steel one that has problems. Do as Nigel says but if the faces are not flat then it is one hell of a job to remove as the head has to come off to give enough clearance

Best of look.

Guest John Hammond

I had a problem with my 4 into 1 manifold - half the welds joining the down pipes onto the plates that bolt onto the head were missing. Your problem must be different because you would have spotted that before you put in on (I didn't) but perhaps the welds could be at fault?

Guest AWhite

Am i right in thinking that the thread on the studs is metric into the cylinder head and imperial on the outside of the stud? Maybe i dreamt that one up.

You could take out the studs and replace with 8mm bolt, i think 25mm length will not be too long to foul the bottom of the hole, but give you enough thread to get a good grip.

Guest old_timbo

Should be able to get it off without removing the head as it went on with it in situ in the first place, but I will have to remove the brake master cylinder, servo, steering shaft etc. .....and the silencer has been fire gummed onto the collector:-((

Won't be able to get really stuck in until Sunday, but on further inspection looks like the flanges are reasonably flat and there are gaskets in place. May be the guy tried re-using the old gaskets. Can you get then the wrong way round? They certainly don't come anywhere near the outside of the flanges.

Tim

Guest old_timbo

Yes, there is three of one type and one of another. I picked up two complete sets today. All 4 joints are blowing, but in different places, so I hope the bloke was a muppet and didn't use new gaskets when fitting the new exhaust.

Guest old_timbo

I was lucky, just needed new exhaust manifold gaskets. Not only that, but I managed to get the old ones off, clean up the faces and put it all back together again without unbolting anything other than the exhaust. Seems I've got a bit more room than on some 2B's. Just need some insurance, then I can take it for a first blast! :D

Guest Charles B

I found that my RH stainless 4 into 1 exhaust was blowing on cylinders 3 & 4. When I took it off I found the faces were warped with a gap in the middle. A bit of careful bashing fixed it. In fact I made it so that there was a small gap by the studs so that the flange flattened as I tightened them up. seems O.K. now. The flanges do bend quite easily though.

Guest allbejay

try having the face plate skimmed and use some custom made copper gasket, thats what i did with my turbo manifold its done me well for over a year and it's re-useable, just heated it up slightly before re using.. :rolleyes: