Super Spec Radiator Fan Switch

Guest Wick12

Guest Wick12

Does any body know which radiator RH supplied for the super spec? I need to know to be able to replace the thermostaic switch in the bottom of the rad as it is short circuit all the time and I guess that this is not how it should be.

I have made the fan run from a switch on the dash but it would be nice to make use of the rad switch.

Have you tried to use the switch in the circuit to the fan control relay? If it works all the time whatever the temp of the water then it probably needs replacing. Have you measured the resistance with a multimeter? What is the reading?

Mine worked OK but was a little temperamental until I changed the relay to a different one - same sort - as supplied by RH

John

Guest Wick12

No John I have not tried the switch in circuit at all, but with a meter on it reads a dead short across the two connections so I bought a ford fan switch and brazed a boss into the bottom hose tube, which is in parrallel with the manual switch.

This works but the engine gets up into the red on the temp gauge before this cuts in,so I thought the one in the rad might work better? Idea's welcome.

Martin

Martin, different manufacturers use different locations for the fan switch. Some put a switch at the top of the rad in the flow from the engine switching on at 90ish and some site one on the bottom of the rad in the cooled return to the engine switching on at 75ish. Sounds like you have a switch intended for the top of the rad mounted at the bottom. You would find if you move your switch to the top hose you will get the fan to come on at a lower overall engine temp. Or get a switch intended for the bottom of a rad and mount it where your current one is. You should find many switches marked with two temperatures, a switch on temp and a switch off one.

Nigel

Guest gordon_macnab

Probably easiest thing to do is take out the switch and find out what the thread connection is (it'll be BSP or NPT thread and about 1/2" or 3/4", if it's got a sealing washer then it's BSP as NPT seals on the threads, BSP seals on the end face) and then get an aftermarket switch with an adaptor boss to suit the rad.

Gordon

Guest Wick12

Thanks for the advice lads I will have to get my head round changing to a lower temp switch i think, I have SVA on friday so I will sort it out after.The remp was ok when driving to MOT it stayed in the normal range over 6 miles.I have the switch incase it gets a bit hot. fingers x

Guest Dredd

The Rad has the same takeoffs as the Rover 820 / 220 (according to my Haines diagram) so I'm guessing they matched the rad to the engine.