Dummy Engine Fit

Snapperpaul

Did a dummy fit of the engine and gearbox at the weekend ( Series 3), first fit was hindered by the gearbox mount leaving 3 inches if propshaft spline showing out the back of the gearbox tail shaft housing. I removed the gearbox mounting and will cut the tunnel further back to fit ( already cut it back to the 5 speed mark by robin hood). Second fit without gearbox mount and the engine sat with back of the head less than an inch from metalwork but there was still a good inch of shiny propshaft visible at the back of the tail shaft housing is this O.K or do i modify further?

Yes thats about right. The back of the engine should be very close to the bulkhead. Mine is about the same and there is an inch of prop showing. This is where RH designed it to fit to allow some movement fore and aft as the engine moves. Other benefits of having the engine as far back as possible is room in front for the fan not to munch the rad under heavy breaking and the gear stick is away from the dash so you can get rev,1,3 and 5th without bashing your knuckles.

Nigel

Thanks for that Longboarder ( Polzeath or Newquay). I am planning to move the rad the other side of the forward bulkhead, at an angle. The dummy fit was still tighter than i thought it would be.