Steering

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

I'm thinking of fitting a high ratio steering rack to my S7 (3a), any words of wisdom, recommendations etc would be most welcome.

Thanks

Guest salty_monk

Bob T uses a Power steering rack on a 2b with the fluid in & out linked up by a piece of hose to stop any rubbish getting in there. Works fine & is about 2.5 turns lock to lock I think...

I'm thinking of fitting a high ratio steering rack to my S7 (3a),

Bob, if it's a 3a, then it should have the original sierra rack fitted. I would suggest first getting another rack from the scrappy (or 2B builder, 'cause they don't use it) so that you don't knacker up your own if it goes wrong (don't pay too much, they just don't normally sell them, no demand!) then take it apart. the track rod end shafts just unscrew from the rack (hold in "soft" vice so as not to damage) then there's a "plug" at 90º to the pinion, undo this, (it's actually a nylon bush that's pressed onto the back of the rack to remove play etc) now remove the plastic collar around the pinion, I made a tool for this out of a piece of tube welded to a spanner.

Once you've got it apart, give Rally Design a ring and buy a quick rack & pinion from them, then refit instead of the standard stuff. don't forget to grease it up, and set the pressure just right on the nylon bush thingy.

It's a lot easier than it sounds, and much cheaper than buying a "genuine" quick rack.

just looked at the Rally Design web page and the kit is now £69-50p but first check that you can open up the rack without knackering the plastic "nuts"

I did this years ago, and it's a million times better than the standard ratio.

post-5-1116919760.jpg

Edited by Big Jim

Guest Griff

Its worth doing the conversion, but I had a hell of a job undoing the old rack. My rack had metal in stead of plastic and it wouldn't come undone for anything even with jims special tool. I ended up buying a new rack £25 and converting it. Still, well worth it. But if the power steering rack is 2.5 turns it might be a better bet and cheaper, as my rack is 2.4 I think, but at least the bits are Quaife.

Hi, I've got a sierra power steering rack sat doing nowt. It's yours for the price of a couple of beers, but you'll either have to collect it, or see if anyone fancies doing the olympic torch relay thing :blink: :blink: :blink:

Nicko

Ive got a power steering rack fitted but it aint straighforward.

The joints on the 2 racks are different, and the column needs to be a different length, because the splined shaft on the PS rack is about 3" longer.

I only went this route because nobody had the Q/R parts when I wanted to do it, and they had already been on back order for a year. That was Raldes & Quaife, so I was a bit desperate. Its 2.4 turns.

Cheers, Bob