Pedal Box

Grizzly

Hi All,

Well I've finally been able to make a start and get something done. After removing the runners from the seats and placing them in, it was still a stuggle to get in and seated. I've now fitted the diddy steering wheel too - much better. I did all this becauase I was a bit concerned about the pedals. Sure enough, they don't feel right at all - maybe it's my size tens? :-)

Anyway, I'm not too bothered about the throttle pedal - I think I can cope with this OK. What's bothering me is the brake and clutch pedals. Firstly, the I'd like to move the clutch pedal over to the right a bit so that I can get my foot to the left and behind. This may not be possible however due to the limited amount of room. Secondly (and most importantly) the brake pedal is bang up to and catching on the steering column (see picture) This is definately not good! I suppose I could get the pedals cut, bent and welded but I seem to recall seeing an article about being able to move/modify the nylon bushes on the pedal shaft? Alternatively, it may be that the pedal box is simply not in the right place. My option here would be to remove it all and start over?

I was led to believe that this is a potential problem area. I've done a trawl but not really found anything that helps. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Grizzly

I had the same sort of problem with the pedal box I cut the nylon spacers with a pipe cutter so I could cut straight and keep play to a minimum, I also cut “V’s in the backs and welded them up for better foot to pedal position i have some pic on my web site link hope this helps

Mark

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

What exhaust manifold have you got?

Is it fitted yet?

What about the Alternator?

They are the usual clearance issues, and its normally a big juggling match to get them right.

We have some pictures about ours on our website might help

Cheers

Bill

Hi Bill,

It's the four-branch type. Both the manifold and the steering column are already fitted. The alternator is positioned underneath the steering column. I'm not keen to have to redo all of this. My thinking is that I'll remove the pedal box so that I can jiggle it around a bit to see if that'll help to inspire. Failing that, I cold tinker with the nylon spacers on the pedal shaft.

Thanks...

Guest old_timbo

I had to move the lower stearing column bush bracket further to the offside than you've got it to get the stearing shaft to clear the RH 4-1 exhaust. If you did so, you would get more clearance to the brake pedal. Might cause a problem with the top UJ and the side rail though. What's the clearance like between the No4 exhaust header and the brake servo? It's a bit close on mine for my liking - think it needs exhaust wrap at least.

Rgds

Tim

Guest salty_monk

Mine was modded on accelerator only & poss a corner chopped off the other side.

Can't remember where the steering column went through but I know there wasn't enough room to get your foot down the side of the clutch pedal easily... on the motorway I'd sometimes slide it through sideways & put it flat on the floor behind the pedal but think my pedals were quite far forward....

Timbo

Ive wrapped my pipes and this leave about 3mm between No 4 and the servo. I think this is far to close. Any opinons anybody ?? (on the distance between the pipe and servo that is :p )

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments. I've had a closer look at this now and it seems to me that the nylon bush alongside the brake pedal is simply on the wrong side. I reckon that if I swap it over to the other side it'll be sorted. Wheteher that means I have to move the servo too though, I'm not sure? It's not lined up too well now - swapping it may help.

Talking of servo's & no.4 pipe - I have about a 12mm clearance at the moment without any wrapping though (presuming I don't have to move the servo!!). On the same matter, I have about zero clearance between the steering column and no.1 pipe!! Lifting the column isn't an option even as the UJ will bind on the chassis under the pedal box. Strewth - there's not a lot of clearance to play with anywhere is there?

Regards...

:gdit:

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

Have you thought about not fitting the Servo?

We have not fitted ours got the little extension piece from Tiger then you mount the master cylinder straight to the pedal box, Loads of room.

We have New disks and calipers with Green stuff pads at the front and new shoes at the back, No compensating valve fitted, After a little while to get used to them and for them to bed in nicely we are well happy with our set up loads of feel and plenty of bite.

:D :D

Hi, I removed a little metal from the steering column bracket to allow it to be nearer the accelerator pedal. This gives plenty of room for the column to miss the exhaust. I'm hoping this is all ok, 'cos I'm a long way from finishing it! :wacko:

Nicko

Guest chris brown

I cut away part of the right hand side of the bush bracket so as to get the column as tight to the chassis I also rounded off the corners of the joint on the column so as to get it over as far as poss even so I only have 10 or 12 mm clearance to number 1 pipe and a nice rubbed half ring on the column where it hits when the engine twists over on the mounts (half because the cont welded centre on the joint)

As for the pedals I had them in and out god knows how many times to cut and shut them until I got them into a position I was happy with