Superspec Fail At Derby

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Just had my superspec failed at Derby. Some minor stuff that I did wrong (some wiring needs a bit of tidying up, cover for the spare wheel, fog light installed angle, pipe lagging on some sharp suspension bits which is no longer allowed :wub: ). However I got some other ones which are a bit more serious thanks to RH.

1. Design weights. For some reason my car has laden calculated front axle weight of 460 kg - design weight is supposed to be 450 kg.... ;)

2. Catalytic converter not working properly (will check with Rusty as I think I've exactly the problem he had).

3. Exhaust exit edge radii (anyone seen some good chrome trims that fit?)

4. Side repeater radii (very silly RH cost reduction!). :angry:

5. Hand brake linkage fouls on seat mounting bolt and handbrake mounting bolt (any suggestions welcome on this one - it doesn't stick far enough out of the bottom of the floor...) :unsure:

6. Mirrors don't extend out/up far enough for field of vision (lose bottom of pole in wheel are or boot lid!)

7. Flexi pipes touch suspension on one side and are over stretched on this other (might have a solution).

8. Steering column insecure at bulkhead. :o

The 8th one is somewhat serious - RH put this together and there should be a bush at the bulkhead to prevent the sterring shaft 'rattling' around... I had a prohibition notice issued against the car, so was not able to drive it home! (good job I got my Dad to get a trailer at short notice).

Please make sure that RH has assembled this part of the car correctly (when I know what it should look like will send pictures), as its hard work getting a trailer at short notice.

Guest jetskijase

Hiya

Sounds a bit rough this one mate <_< , only help i can giv as i did a 2b is the exhaust exit 3 i used trim from halfords thats for a motorcycle screen, comes in blue black and chrome.

4 side reapeaters, i ditched the rh ones and used some oval ones from a show, smoked with orange bulb, boyracer kind of thing, passed ok today.

Mirrors, i used fireblade ones off ebay, passed field of vis but failed edge, fortuntaely theres room to glue some edge trim on.

Cant help on rest i'am afraid.

Cheers

Jase

Guest bugsy

Its not just me then! :blink:

I have had a bit of a mare getting through the SVA too :gdit: , I am still trying infact!

How did they decide that your cat wasnt working, was it on the emissions? They failed me originally because the Lamda was out of range (too weak) think it might have been a crack in the zorst letting in air before the sensor.

As for the trim on the exaust outlet i used some round steel bar and formed it into the shape of the hole then fixed it on and painted it, you wouldnt know.

Side repeater needs the holes filling with clear silicone and the top edge flattening with a file, it really is a silly one that! RH should supply SVA compliant bits!

Handbrake fouling, I fashoned a stand off bracket made out of half of the black pipe which was supplied in the box of bits, this just stands the cable off and away from the mounting nut.

Mirrors were ok on mine, possibly try Tiger Mirrors mounted on the screen support, just make sure you cover the nuts, do a search on here, there has been alot of discussion on this subject.

Steering column is a bit of a worry, Dredd has had problems with his but i think it was a different problem.

Good luck, and i hope it makes sense.

Regards

Bugsy

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

On emissions, lamda reading was 0.93, CO2 was 2.5.... both out of range. :boohoo:

You know its going wrong when you get there, switch on the lights and one sealed beam blows (they go a lovely cloudy colour inside......) :gdit:

Pics of your standoff bracket for the hand brake would help - I'm 95% sure I know what you mean ...

Thanks for the other suggestions - will work my way through them.

Was going to change the mirrors anyway! :)

Steering problem is different to Dredd's - his was at the rack end whilst mines at the other end (but apparently there is supposed to be a 3 piece grommet set!)

You wouldn'T guess that I'd got chassis no 13 would you! :blink:

Only 3 pages of failure notes, but the tester said it was 'generally a solid build' :lol: :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Chris

Have you just recently discovered RHOCAR ? because some of your failure points are well documented on here its a shame if you have just found us because we do like to help. :D

And I bet there will be some other superspex builders checking their builds out after your problems came to light.

Never mind 3 pages will soon get done :lol: :lol:

Good luck :D

Guest bugsy

Just noticed the seller id of the bits on Ebay " the Trickydicky" ;)

So thats what RS is up to now he has sold up, No wonder we didnt get them in the kit :o

The steering bush is a standard Ford part and still available from your local dealer. You need to make up a bracket in something like 3mm steel and mount it at the bulkhead to support the bush and thus the lower end of the column. The three bits below make up the bush but there is also a sprung washer with a triangular hole in the centre which threads onto the triangular bit of the column and holds the bush in place and a alloy cover for the bush which many people dont fit. You can just see the alloy cover on the bulkhead in the Haynes manual Ch 11 p15 fig 24.7 just above the arrow.

Nigel

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Cheers - have just checked (yes I know its early!!), RH have fitted the big dougnut bit, but none of the rest of it! :wacko:

Its a bit like most of the half done jobs, such as the engine wiring and power steering reservoir.

However the good bit is at Derby they measured the indicator position from the front of the car (!) so no extensions needed - was exactly 400 mm.

The Bulk head grommet certainly came in my kit, but was a total PIG to fit, as the inner piece has a triangulated apperture and the shaft is round :blink:

Call Tech support get them to send one out to you, no need to part with money ;)

e

Guest Andy Rathbone

i replaced mine with genuine ford from ford dealer, for about £4 for the steering set., other than that ,not a bad list, shame about the prohabition notice.

For my mirrors i made some wooden blocks up to extend them out about 40mm then painted them black. now the screen is fitted i have to re think it a little.

good luck with your retest

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Cheers chaps,

any suggestions which end is better? should I put it on from thew steering column end or the rack end? :rolleyes:

(Wishing RH had actually done the job properly now I've looked at it!) :angry:

The plastic ring and 'triangle top hat' go in from the steering wheel side with a triangle spring washer forced onto the shaft to stop them rising further up toward the steering wheel. At least thats the way I've done mine!

Nigel

Guest mreeves

Here's a picture of the steering bush fitted to my SuperSpec. It works.

Steering Bush

I will at some point also be putting a clip of some sort around the shaft to stop the inner part of the bush slipping.

Matthew

Guest Giggling_Buffoon

Cheers everyone - fitted it in less than 20 mins from the rack end (its amazing what brute force can do). :D Now I understand why RH 'forgot' to fit it on my superspec.

Nearly ready for a retest on friday this week. Will let you know the result.