Woohoo...

Guest cjbailey

Guest cjbailey

Well, I have finally found a sierra... I am now the proud owner of an E-reg (early '88) Sierra 2.0 GL. I paid the princely sum of £110 for this beast which has a set of alloys with 3 new tyres (receipt for £160 from a month ago!), half a tank of fuel, tax till september (time to get the rebate :rolleyes: ). The engine was officially rebuilt 7000 miles ago, but it needs a bit of work on it. The car also has a full set of steelies with it, so I could flog the alloys as well! It also has a towball which I reckon I might be able to sell...

By my reckoning I think I may be able to make some money on this car :D :rolleyes: :D (although I haven't decided if I am going to flog the alloys yet).

I am one happy chappy! Let the destruction begin :) !

Yeeeeeehaaaaaa!

Get that grinder going! :D

This is the fun bit. Buy lots of plasters for your knuckles, and keep everything from the donor as long as you can - lots of bits come in handy!

Guest Mr Pid

Sounds like your fun is only just beginning,

One point i cannot emphasise enough though,- label the loom up very well as you take it out the car and dont start chopping bits off unless your absolutely sure you wont need it. :unsure:

Oh and becareful taking the rear axle out, it wieghs a ton! :huh:

Have fun

Stu :D

Guest SteveL

I second the careful labelling of the loom!

Don't use sticky labels either, tie-on ones are much better. I've got most of a box of tie-on labels left in the garage if they're any good to you. I'm just north of Basingstoke, so if you're up this way, feel free to contact me, and you can pick them up (and take a look at my 2B if you want to!)

Steve

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Chris,

I used white "Lasso" (electrical) PVC tape wrapped round the wire or harness and stuck back onto itself.

Then labelled using a Pentel or Berol PERMANANT fine marker.

These survived extraction of the harness from the car and are still stuck fast and legible after the harness has been thinned down and put back in it's box ready for installation shortly.

If you've got more than one colour tape you can even come up with some code system - I didn't ;)

HTH

Terry

Guest Mr Pid

I was actually a bit of a cheapskate, and not patient enough to use labels. I used body shop masking tape (the good stuff) stuck back on itself and a permanent marker. it worked really well and is still on there now. :D

After stripping four looms and labelling each one i found this the quickest way, i take it your using a carb loom- steer clear injection ghia or cosworth looms they are a bloody nightmare! :(

Stu

Stu,

I used body shop masking tape

Is it important that the masking tape isn't tested on animals?

:p

(Sorry, it must be Friday or something...)

I used yellow insulation tape, wrapped round the wires and stuck to itself as well, then wrote on it with a black permenent marker pen. All seems okay.

Guest cjbailey

I am going to label up the loom correctly (just in case) but I have the (and yes I know this is like a swear word on here :rolleyes: ) Vicky Green Loom coming with the kit (which I pick up in 2 weeks :D :D :D ).

It is a carb'd car... Although I am not sure whether it is one which will work with the loom you guys all hate... I am going to have to have a look at the documentation sent down about buying the car, but in the end it makes no difference, I will use what I can off this car and then scrap it. The bits I can sell off outweigh the cost of the car, plus I have a reasonable set of alloys as well!

(I am sorry about the quality of the image, but the upload size is tiny and my website is moving so I don't have a definate url for it yet!)

post-4-1055537959.jpg

Hi CJ

:huh: Even if you do use the V G loom, KEEP all the old Sierra loom and every plug thats fitted to the car (both male and female ends) you will be (or not) very surprised how much of the looms plugs are needed to supliment the VG loom.

Good luck with the build.

Mitch

Guest cjbailey

Many thanks! I shall hopefully be on the road in 1 - 2 years!

Must make a mental note to send off my £15 cus I haven't joined yet :o ! I keep on forgetting!