Fitting The Handbrake On The Tunnel

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

I keep hearing about people fitting the handbrake on top of the tunnel rather than on the passenger side. Is this easy to do and will it pass the SVA....???? Can any give me the details about whats involve.....

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

:D Yep i thought it was far the better way to go, both Daz and Steve did it and have details on there web pages. Here's a link to Steve's hope you don't mind Steve but i did'nt have any pics to hand.Shows where and how to fit.

http://www.robinhood2b.freeserve.co.uk/

it's around April 2002 when he did it.

HTH

Mitch

Guest Angel Boy

The way to go in my view. Especially if you are fitting a four point and are a "short arse" like me. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe Mr SVA is to happy if you can't put the handbrake on strapped into the seat/harness.

You need a couple of "spacers" to raise the handbrake of the tubes to allow the halfmoon thing to come underneath the lever. I used a couple of bits of tube, they need to be different lengths if you want the handbrake parallel to the tuneel top when off. Mount the biggest bit of angle that RHE supplied just behind the seat back panel (if you are fitting the sierra fuel tank you are on your own here as the cable runs where the tank would be :( ) Drill the angle with two holes big enough to mount the outer cable end stops and put a slot to each to allow the inner cable to get in (see picture - sorry I only have MS Paint to draw with)

Hope that helps.

Andy

post-7-1055663010.jpg

Guest TerryBarry

Here's how I've done mine at the rear

I will openly admit to any accusation of plagiarism - why re-invent the wheel (Thanks Pete :) )

I've used the handbrake assembly off a Nissan Micra - this sits on top of the centre rails without the need for spacers (and I had one to hand).

The link between the handbrake lever and the yoke is made from a piece of 4 x 10 mm steel strip with a 90° twist in it.

I will weld up the angle where it's bent - although it's probably strong enough as is

Terry