Exhaust Metal Insert

Guest jetskijase

Guest jetskijase

Hi All

I tack welded the 3 pronged metal insert into the exhaust for the sva, got it down to 96db at 3500 rpm. It has a square hole in the middle,

What's this doing to my engine performance??

Am i going to notice anything if i remove it??

Should i remove it??

Cheers

Jase

Guest craig030774

i put a pan scourer in and cut down a flint gun to jhold in place as soon as i booted it out of the centre it came out :lol:

good luck see you at newark

Anything that puts a restriction and reduces the noise ( unless it's a bigger can with more absorbtion) will cost in power terms, however unless you are in persuit of numbers, it shouldn't make a noticable difference.

Removing the metal baffle makes a huge difference in performance. Having recently just welded one into my pipe to quieten it down in the morning (due to having to use it for work), my top speed dropped from 105 to 90. The acceleration also was lame and it sounded rubbish! Wear ear plugs and remove the baffles completely would be my advice!

I put it in for the SVA with tack welds. :rolleyes:

When the car had had passed I went to remove it and there it was gone :o

If any one finds one, around the Leics Rutland area, that has been ripped out and passed by Robin; Please can they throw it away for me. :lol: :lol:

Thanks

Guest FIRSTBUILD

lets face it - we are all on a budget build BUT this exhaust thing is a flaw in the design, I have cut mine open and riveted a baffle in it but I think its still to noisey also it gets rich on tick over so it must affect the flow of gases (whats the point of a four branch manifold if you block the small end !)

I think before this build is over I will part with the thick end of two hundred pounds for a "real" exhaust.

Guest Phil Slater

I cur mine open and stuffed in a pack of silencer fluff or whatever it's called got from Car Builder solutions. It has noticably reduced the noise - and still sounds good - though it's not been through SVA yet I am reasonably confident that it will now be OK.

Phil Slater