Where Can I Get Micro Edge Trim?

Jon Bradbury

Hi

One of my SVA fail points is the bonnet louvres. I had put a cover over them but the tester deemed it temporary and suggested a rubber edge trim glued on. Not the stuff with built in spring clips, but it is about 2.5mm diameter with a slit in it. He even showed me a sample of the kind of thing they were looking for.

Does anyone know a supplier of this stuff? It's not in the Frost's or Woolies product list.

Thanks

JonB

That's funny, they don't fail them even with nothing done to cover them. There was something about them being exempt for some reason, but I can't find the link.

I don't think he should have knocked you back on those, could be worth a phonecall to Swansea, or wherever to enquire.

I think that part number 305 (bumper overrider beading @ .65p per M) from Woolies (www.woolies-trim.co.uk) listed under wing piping, is what you are looking for. I used it on some sharp edges under the bonnet an dash. I did not need it on the bonnet louvres. You will need to glue it on though - I used super glue every 100mm or so.

John

Guest Battery Bill

Jon

Like Big Jim says they normally pass without any trim on them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

His Sphere cannot contact the whole of the edge of the metal so it should not be a problem :gdit:

You have not fitted them back to front have you ? :lol: :lol:

try your local electrical wholesalers for solid grommet strip, glue it on to inside of bonnet louvers so as not to mark the stainless when you take it of after sva.. :D

also get self amalgamating tape from there..

Guest Wick12

Hi there

Vehicle Wiring Products do a small rubber edge trim 5mm dia will fit over thickness from .8 to 1.6mm I used it for edges on my super spec arround sharp bits and it glues with super glue.

The phone number is 0115 9305454 on page 5 of there cat. They usualy send so you get it next day.

seems a bit harsh this as the louvres should have the status of a grill!

Good luck Martin

the louvres should have the status of a grill!

THATS THE ONE! i was thinking about!! Jon, give the SVA inspector a ring and tell him that you've had information that the louvers are classed as a grill, and that no-one covers these.

it glues with super glue.

Be very careful with superglue, it reacts with the "film" thats on the stainless, if you put too much on, you can make a right old mess of it.

Guest jetskijase

JOn I had the inpsector of inspectors do my car, and even he didn't fail them.

Later found out that my inspector failed on 3 points :D :D :p :p Not spotting my gear stick etc.

Jase

Guest bugsy

I would ask to see the SVA Bible, it does say that Vents are ok!

It would be a real shame to put trim on them in my opinion.

If you hve to i would only use the minimum amount of glue on the underside of the bonnet so it will be easy to remove after sva!

Just my 2p's worth :rolleyes:

Bugsy

Yes Bugsy that's my feeling too.

What a bother.

I have seen another car with this stuff on the bonnet. It didn't look too bad.... <_<

I would ask to see the SVA Bible, it does say that Vents are ok!

I have to take his (and the other inspector's) word for it as once again it's his opinion that counts. He said it'd be OK to blunt the edges. I think if I hadn't fitted the "temporary cover" to the bonnet then attention might not have been drawn to the grilles.

You lives and learns.