2l Efi

gomatthome

Finished over the weekend final wire up and coolling connections air filter fuel pipes etc.

Whilst engine will start up after a few seconds it dies. Will rev at high level but as soon as revs let drop just dies.

It was running on tickover before everything connected up in final position.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as i am now a bit lost on what to try next.

thanks in anticipation.

Phil

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I am no expert but it sounds like air getting into the manifold or the throttle position sensor is sticking, it was suggested to me to give it a tap ! but it did the trick - really you need to take a methodical look at everthing -manifold -timing - cam timing-fuel pump etc, even though it starts loads of things can be miles out of adjustment.

Guest Kieran

I'd suggest the idle valve isn't working. Thats the barrel shapped thing at the side of butterfly valve.

Does it sound as if its trying to idle?? Try and hold the throttle open slightly, and get an idle manually.

Kieran :wacko:

Guest chris brown

The air idle control valves are notorious for playing up especially if it has been standing around for a long time. Remove it and wash it out with carb cleaner or similar and make sure the valve slides smoothly a drop of very thin oil like 3 in 1 usually helps after you have got the internals really clean also ensure that the airways in and out of the throttle body are clean. Before you refit it plug it in and get someone to switch the ignition on and off while you watch in. You should see the valve move.

There is little else to go wrong except for the throttle position pot (see posts over the last few days) as the system is very basic.

Best of luck

Chris

thanks changed the plugs fiddled about and kept running then dropped revs to circa 1200 as described in haynes to 'train' the ecu. seems to have done the trick but spotted oil leak and water leak! one step forward two back!

phil