Clutch Judder

Guest JohnD

Guest JohnD

I am getting some clutch judder when my engine is well warmed up after about an hour or so. I am told it could probably be oil on the clutch. When everything is cold I have no problem.

My question is - does this sound like a good explanation? If so is the clutch change a relatively easy job on a Mk 2. I have a two litre pinto with the donor gearbox etc. This may be an easy question but I did not build the car so need to ask!The engine unit has only done about 2000 miles after build and was all new (I am told)

I often read about lightening and balancing the flywheel - is this something that anyone can recommend whilst I have the clutch out?

Any advice welcome.

John D

Worthing, West Sussex

Guest Takumi

I have a similar problem on my 205 GRD , the clutch judders when its being slipped, i dont know whether the clutch disc itself is warped due to too much heat on long slips, or whethere the material is contaminated with oil or something similar..

if you find out what it i post it on here.

Tak

Nope. On XU engines the flywheel bolt holes go right through the back of the crank and into the sump space. If you don't seal the threads, oil seeps slowly through to the flywheel face and contaminates it. Nothing to do with the rear crank seal.

Nigel

Guest JohnD

Thanks for all replies.

The problem seems to have started since fitting twin 40's. So the problem may well be engine oil. The only remedy seems to replace the clutch then and seal the bolts.

Another unplanned job!

How easy is a clutch change ?

John D

Sorry John D, got a little of the point with pug engines. I think judder when hot is probably related to oil on the plate and a strip down is in order. If you hire an engine crane it can be done in a day. Renewal of plate and possibly rear crank seal and gearbox input seal may be needed.

A good article on flywheel lightening can be found at David Bakers excellent Puma Racing Web site.

Nigel