Engine Out, Reconditioning Advice

Guest bloke

Guest bloke

with the 'opportunity!' i have recently be given of taking the engine out of my hood, i am thinking it may be worth overhaulin it?

would welcome opinions and any advice about the job

the engine had done 120,000 miles in the sierra

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

I think you are too late in the build to be thinking of doing this, the car ran OK before didn't it?

I think you should get it back in and tested ASAP whilst the goings good, once you are on the road there is plenty of time to change engines

Bill :D

Guest bloke

should i check the bottom end an change any seals? or do you think it should be robust enough to do a few more miles?

test will probably be early spring 06

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

I though you were nearly testing!

If you have that much time it would be easy to do a complete strip and rebuild like we did on ours, I think you would need a camshaft kit, and a full gasket set, New torx bolts so really your outlay would be going up rather sharply, but on the other hand you could then rely on it for a long time afterwards :D :D

Good luck :D

Guest chris brown

One thing to do now if you haven’t already is to shorten the sump which is an absolute necessity IMHO.

Other than that there is only one of two ways to go. Ether leave it as it is or go the whole hog and re ring (I doubt if it will require a rebore) check all bearings and if at all in doubt replace. Replace oil pump and camshaft (full kit not just camshaft). It soon starts to get expensive.

Do not pay 550 for a recon. You can pick up a good pinto for little money, replace any seals that leak and run it until it gives up. Or as i am going to do, put in the donor engine as it stands ( cleaned up and new gaskets) and use the 205 engine i bought from Russ, thanks mate its a gem, and build that in the winter months.

I'm running the donor bottom end on mine which has done 137,000 miles. Still OK with a high compression head, hot cam and twin forties for the last 10,000 miles. It went fine in the donor. It goes fine in the Hood. I have replaced the odd gasket or seal when it leaked. Doesnt seem to be much point doing it if it isn't leaking. I will look at the bearings and bores when I have a reason to. I don't think 'to see if it is OK' is a good enough reason.

If it breaks one day I will go to the scrappy and get another or finaly put the zetec in. But, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!'

Nigel

Guest bloke

thanks for the advice

will look at the crankshaft oil seal cos that is leaking and sort the clutch

guess im anticipating the lump dropping out on the way to the test! as thats pretty much what the clutch did

and i dont want that to happen