Steering Rack Sub-k

Guest Lindsay

Guest Lindsay

Hi all

Any one had difficulty fitting universal joint of the steering shaft to the splined shaft on the steering rack. I can't get uj on because it hits the chassi.

How did you over come the problem.

Cheers for now

Lindsay <_<

Hi Lindsay,

With my Sub-K, I did note that the chassis is indented slightly to allow room for the UJ at the bottom (compaired with the other side).

Try undoing the bolts that hold the rack, bushing it over to the right (viewed from front) and doing the bolts back up, this will give you a bit more clearence.

Also, try turning the UJ round a bit (and the rack to keep them straight) and see if it will clear.

Check that you have a proper Sierra rack.

My splined shaft was quite tight, I had to force it apart and hammer it on with a drift (don't dammage the UJ though).

When it is assembled, there is about 2mm clearence to the chassis!

If you still have problems, send a pic.

Guest Lindsay

Thanks for your input Nigel, the steering rack on sub-k is located with 2 bolts rather than u bolts, it also has splined shaft.

That did the trick Guy, I actually was looking for a problem that wasn't there. I thought there should have been more gap between chassi and uj!!

Thanks again men.

Lindsay

Does it? :o Oh-well, perhaps that was why it was stiff :unsure: . Never mind, it's all working now. I'll have to remember that one for when I build my next car!

post-3-1057048658.gif