Upgrading The Exhaust System

Guest RichardWiggins

Guest RichardWiggins

Hi,

I am currently 'refurbishing' my 2B - since last Sept - this summer it hits the road, at last :( ...... and as I start putting it all back together I am keen to ditch the original Pinto manifold and RH silencer (the very cheap mild steel twin pipe version direct into the Pinto cast manifold -aargh) and install something more in keeping with the car.

Finding the silencer is straighforward, i.e. choice everywhere - but the manifold / downpipes create a continual problem

I have seen the earlier posts regarding the problems experienced with fitting the RH 4:1 manifold etc (Servo & steering moves and engine out time) - any other suggestions / helpful hints ?

Thanks !

Hi Richard,

I managed to remove my 4 into 1 with the engine in situ to fit exhaust wrap.

I had to release the servo bolts from the pedal box & the cylinder & "wiggle " the

servo out, leaving the cylinder movable but still connected to the pipes.

Then undo the RHS engine mount & jack up the engine.

Mine was even more fiddly to replace with exhaust wrap & 4 jubilee

clips on the end, but it can be done.

Bob

Guest RichardWiggins

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

You have convinced me - I will pop across to Robin Hood tomorrow & grab their 4:1 system.

You mentioned in your note the 'RHS engine mounts' - I appear to have the standard Sierra mountings (picture below of the O/S mounting if the posting works)- is this still OK or do I need a conversion ?

Sorry to answer with another question !

Thanks

Richard

post-10-1047319975.jpg

Richard,

I made the conversion your planning (from twin pipe to RHE 4-1 manifold) last year. I made the hole in the side panel slightly larger thus making it easier to fit and remove the new RHE 4-1 manifold with out having to remove the engine.

Problem I think you will have is that your steering shaft will have to be moved. I had to remove the entire steering shaft/column assembly as well as the pedal box and refit everything as far over the the side as the car as possible in order to clear the new manifold. It is a very tight fit.

Also the quality of the 4-1 manifold is not brilliant - I have black sooty deposits around the welds where it goes 4 into 1 i.e. its got holes in it and needs some more welding to seal.

Having said that it is worth making the change - looks better and improves performance.

Good luck

Richard

Guest RichardWiggins

Thanks Bob & Richard - much clearer now (especially as to RHS and RHE meaning!)

I had a peer into the potential moves this evening - when I looked at the proximity of the steering shaft (especially the joint) to the chassis tube it raised the eyebrows somewhat - picture attached to illustrate.

I intend to start next week - I will of course drop a finished picture to the forum as an update.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Richard

post-10-1047414024.jpg

Hi Richard,

just to clarify....I have a stainless bodied, pillar suspension'd car

with full stainless exhaust, which seems to have a different steering

column to yours. When I built the car, the exhaust touched the top of the body cutout,

(2.0 engine) so I increased the size of the hole by about an inch at the top.

You may have to do the same. Titanfast covers all the edges anyway.

Cheers, Bob.

PS I will be changing to wishbones by the end of the month, meaning I

have to change the lower part of the steering column too.

And the rack; and the alternator; and the lower cooling hose......etc etc.

If it turns out I don't need to cannibalise any of the lower column,

you're welcome to it.

Cheers, Bob

Guest RichardWiggins

HI Bob,

Thanks fo the update - A call was placed with RH / Lolocost this morning with teh aim of collecting the manifold later today - only to discover that "We have run out and dont need to stock any yet as until May they are not needed for the kits" - not quite sure that the customer service / after sales support hasn't fallen over on this one !

Novel principal for establighing your stock level - I always thought that demand was a factor. :angry:

Thanks for the tips - I will spend some time next week finding an alternate suppliier for teh manifold - any ideas / suggestions out there from the forum readers ?

Would love to assist you in cannibalising.

Thanks

Richard

Guest RichardWiggins

OK Folks - the challenge is set............

The original 4:1 manifold from RobinHood is not avaliable until May :( - I have heard that a number of other kit car companies may be able to assist with their downpipes - anyone used an alternate supplier and have any comments ?

The RH manifold, given the price seemed a good option - without having a manifold and downpipes specially made (and pay £00's), I am looking for any suggestions.

Given have most of next week off it would be a shame not to get the car running again (without having to refit the twin pipe steel version)

post-10-1047493182.jpg

Guest david

I ditched the RHE manifold & exhaust in favour of a made to measure from Custom Chrome - very neat and not too expensive. The car will now pass the jobsworths with the noise meters at Castle Combe!!!!!

An alternative, bit more expensive but very good I'm told, is Wundreuff(?). Not sure about the spelling - Richard Hanks (South West Sex) had one done and spoke very highly of it.

Hope this helps

Guest kevinbaker

Hi Richard

Give Dave a call at Powerspeed - 01233 662225. He'll hand craft whatever you want, it won't break the bank, and it'll look and sound superb.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Angel Boy

Richard,

Did you get this sorted? What was the outcome? I am looking to go down the same route. Was going to go the RHE jobby as it seems ok and the price fits the better halves budget ;)

If you can post back I would be very interested to hear the outcome.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest RichardWiggins

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the delay in responding - I seem to of spent the last two weeks either finishing the spraying of the car or walking around smelling of thinners.

I have spoken with Wunoff, Custom Chrome and Powerspeed etc - looking for a solution more immediate than RH could offer - but the pricing implications caused a bit of a fright.

A lot of the conversations have revolved around also the potential (but not a necessary) taking the car down to check the measurements and pipe bend requirements etc - something despite best efforts still not possible (although it at least is looking like a car now) - so I expect that I may still end up going the RH route in the end - certainly at this point unless I sort a solution this week then I intend simply to refit the existing one piece steel system to get the car on the road so I can enjoy it (end of April at the latest I hope) - by then RH hopefully will of sorted their supply out if no other solution is forthcoming.

I am also planning on talking to Tiger Racing today - I saw from their website (www.tigerracing.com - look at parts section, under engine drop down menu) that they offer 4 seperate header pipes for the Pinto (£140) and I want to explore this option further and check my understanding of the ability to fit this to the RH (I have read about this option somewhere which prompted the thought) - I will post an update later today as to the outcome.

Cheers

Richard W

Guest Angel Boy

Thanks for replying Richard.

A friend at work knows a guy who has just had a custom exhaust made by Tony Lawes (spelling?). He is based in Leeds and has a good reputation. He has just had a complete system built for him for £350. Manifolds, repackable silencer etc. The only problem is he only does carbon steel. Not sure what the implications of getting an exhaust cromed etc are.

Like you say though, they are all considerable more expensive then the RHE option. I am hopefully getting Tony's number soon so I'll give him a ring and let you know the outcome.

Andy