Rover Sd1 Gearbox

Jon Green

Guest Tim Norman

It will fit in the 2b with some small mods. The bell housing and casing are much bigger than the type 9. The stick though is roughly in the same place and on top.

The SD1 uses the LT77 gearbox. British Leyland intended this gearbox to be standard accross their range with the result that the LT77 is available with a number of input shaft lengths and thus a number of bellhousing lengths. The gear lever is remote mounted to two bars that mount to the gearbox. Thus there are also a number of gear lever positions available as well. Unless you take your LT77 from an SD1 it could have come from another source.

The gearbox serial number ends in a letter which marks the revision. Revisions A to D were used in the SD1 with each revision getting stronger. If your gearbox is revision A-D it could still have a different input shaft length and remote change length. If it is revision E-K it isn't from an SD1.

I have a revision D box that I know is from an SD1 on one side of my garage and a 2B/04 chassis on the other side. All the measurements I have taken so far indicate it will fit without any modifications. However I have yet to put it on the engine and offer it in.

From talking to Tim I was expecting to have to modify the reversing sensor but mine looks a bit different to the photos I saw of Tim's and I don't think I will have to modify mine. Tim had to modify the chassis around the peddle box mount and I expect to do the same.

The LT77 main box is longer and the tail shaft is shorter. Thus while the width of the type 9 tails off quite quickly the LT77 stays wider for longer. It is also wider at the rear end. The bellhousing on mine is much shorter than the type 9 but the diameter at the engine end is much bigger.

Elwe,

Thanks for all that information :wacko:

The reason for me asking about the SD1 gearbox isn't for fitting a V8, it's because I have an Pug MI16 engine in the garage which I want to put in my 2B. I've found out that I can use a LDV Pilot bellhousing and SD1 gearbox to get it into a rear wheel drive format. :D

I've not got onto thinking about input shafts, clutches or anything like that yet although I was hoping i could use the Pug flywheel and pressure plate with the SD1 clutch plate. I might be very wrong as i don't know enough yet.

I do know that it's been done before in the Sylva Striker by a few owners for hill climbs coz of the engine weight / power but haven't managed to track any of them down yet to quiz.

Jon