Lightweight

Guest ScotMac

Guest gordon_macnab
I looked at a T5 for my 2B/04. I concentrated on the tail shaft area and worked out that would fit but speaking to Tim Norman he thinks the main gearbox part of a T5 is too wide.

The T5 box fits a 2B with no probs so if the lightweight has the same dimensions around the tunnel it will be ok

Guest ScotMac

Colin, thanks for the list.Saw your other post about the jig. Sounds like you are ready to start the chassis. Congrats.

Does it look at all possible for me to switch it to left-side drive? ie, how many of the body panels are symmetric...obviously not the all!!! Can you tell yet how wide/tall the tunnel will be???

BTW, i chose the optional windshield too....hope it is not too difficult w/out instruction. Maybe if we complain enough, they will get it in by the time my kit is ready, in which case i will simply post the instructions.

Thanks again, -sm

Guest ScotMac

Gordon, did you switch to the t5? If so, i assume you got the UK version of it, which i believe is the same as the 4-cylinder US version. That version i believe is the best/easiest, in terms of making the switch, right? Splines and input shaft match the type-9???

The US prevalent mustang v8 based t5's are not soo easy!!! Input shaft and splines differ. I am a novice at this, so correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt really just a question of me getting a bellhousing that attaches to the tranny (gearbox, for you english challenged!!! ;-) and engine, and matches the length of input shaft? Then i can simply buy a mustang based clutch, pressure plate, <what else>, ... ???

Thanks, -sm

If you can get a bellhousing that will bolt to the engine and the gearbox it still has to be the right length for the input shaft of the gearbox. You will probably have to use the flywheel for the engine, be aware that often (always?) the end of the input shaft is thinner and fits into the crank/flywheel. Now you need a clutch and clutch cover. The clutch cover will have to be operated by the release arm in the bell housing. Often this means its easiest to fit the clutch and clutch cover for the gearbox. This also means the splines on the clutch plate will be right. You will probably have to have the flywheel drilled to take the new clutch cover. If you do it yourself make sure you have the flywheel and clutch assembly balenced afterwards. You need to check how your engine is ballanced. If its balanced with the flywheel then you need to measure the balance of the flywheel before, it probably won;t be balanced on its own, and then match this afterwards with the clutch cover on. This will ensure the flywheel still brings the engine into balance. Obviously you also have to mark the crank and flywheel before you seperate them. Hopefully your engine isn't balanced with the flywheel. I know Rover V8s aren't but the Buick version is.

Guest ScotMac

Tho i would obviously hope not, I have no idea whether the ford focus duratec engine is balanced WITH the flywheel...anyone else?

In general, quad4rods will give me a bellhousing *and* a spacer to allow the US 91-93 mustang v8 t5's to work w/ the engine.

It is also true that the tail shaft is different, and i MAY have to do some type of linkage based shifter....but i believe that is the least of my worries!!! ;-) ie, a more difficult question is how to find 8.5" clutches and covers for that t5 input shaft...ie, to go w/ the 8.5" duratec stock flywheel...i have yet to find a source.

BTW, i got reply from RH on the left hand drive. They will do it, but for around 300 BP's more....at least they will do it, but i don't know how much i will be a guinea pig for them...ie, i bet they haven't had many left hand drives shipped!!!

I believe all the Duratec's are internally balanced, thats without the flywheel. The standard front crank pulley acts as a damper, i.e. it has a rubber insert to damp any vibrations from a minor imbalance. Thats probably worth keeping, I suspect its there to allow slacker manufacturing tolerences.

If there is a company doing a bell hosuing they should be able to advise you what flywheel/clutch their other customers use. After all the bellhousing should be designed so the end of the input shaft fits with the flywheel.

You might be able to get a bigger flywheel with the right bolt pattern for the crank from a larger V6 Duratec. Once you have a large enough flywheel you can use the right clutch for the gearbox and have the flywheel redrilled to take the clutch cover.