Lightweight

Guest ScotMac

Guest ScotMac

Hi all,

Well, i have begun picking up my parts, tho i don't really know what to get, since i don't know what comes in the kit (since i don't have it, and i don't trust RH). Input from the lightweighters that have their kits would be great!!!

So, i got the duratec i4 (that i have been spouting off about), 2 racing seats (ya, i know it comes w/ seats), all 4 merkur (sierra) brakes and hubs, 2 rear half shafts, and a t9 tranny (and drive shaft). I am still (desperately) trying to find a xr4x4 LSD!!!!

What else do i need? How good is that "maxcool radiator"? If i am going to race my l/w, is it beefy enough?

Thanks for help, and feel free to add your own wants and desires...for l/w parts, that is!!! :p

Cheers, -sm

Guest ScotMac

Your right...seats aren't listed. Guess my seat purchase was better than i thought!!! ;-)

Looking forward to seeing that parts list...and any pictures you can share of it.

Thanks, -sm

Guest ScotMac

BTW, does anyone know if a t5 tranny will fit in the tunnel on the l/w?? And will the driveshaft mounts work w/ the t9 drive shaft? Or, vice-a-versa (t5 shaft w/ xr4x4 LSD)?

In fact, can the sierra (US scorpio) drive shaft be used at all, in terms of dimensions? ie, i assume that the t5 is longer than the t9.

Guest ScotMac

Found this on the nw RH list: http://nw.rhocar.org/lsd.htm.

It implies that i can just "bolt-in" the LSD, if i have the old/beefy drum brake based half shafts. Good thing i decided to switch to drum on the back (note: i was told that it will handle better w/ the drums. if disc, they say it over-brakes on the rear).

Guest chris brown
It implies that i can just "bolt-in" the LSD, if i have the old/beefy drum brake based half shafts
I don’t think this is true as the lobo jointed shafts as fitted to all (as far as I know) LSD's will not fit drums so discs have to be fitted. I know that there has been much said about the rear brakes (drums v discs) but I find that I still lock up the fronts long before the rears very similar to when I had drums and if anything find the brakes better balanced than before.

Guest ScotMac

Took the plunge last week and today. Put down a deposit on the lightweight (finally...was waiting for them to answer my questions), and picked up my engine today from a "scappy". A 10000mile old 2005 duratec. Got them to throw in the starter and alternator. The stock exhaust and intake manifold are sh*t (exhaust merge all 4 *immediately* into a cat, and intake is PLASTIC, with ONE throttle body for all 4 cylinders!!! ;-). So, still need an intake manifold/throttle bodies, and EMS to go w/ them, and exhaust manifold (and pipes?? What comes w/ the kit???) Note, the engine also came w/ a fuel rail, and the injectors are on the head. However, i have heard that putting them that close to the valves makes for bad performance. Actually, i heard putting them there makes for good low rpm performance, bad high rpm performance. In fact, don't some racing appication use *two* injectors, one down low and one high, for JUST this reason?

Hmmm, what else do i need for the engine??? Fuel pump, ...???

Got a *quaife* rear differential, mounted in a sierra/merkur diff...combined w/ 4 rear axles, and another spare diff (standard), all for $900, shipped. Not bad, for a quaife....but not cheap either!!! ;-) And the diff's are both 3.65:1....need 3.92, at least...

Still trying to figure if a t5 will fit the l/w tunnel...lightweighers, help me out here!!! The t5 tranny is 11" tall, the main body starts around 5.5" wide, and ends around 9.5" wide (9.5" where it connects to the bellhousing), and the input shaft is about 3.5" below the top of the main body. The 9.5" wide at the end of the main body is what i am worried about....however where it connects to the bellhousing maybe just outside the tunnel, depending on the size of the bellhousing, and how far back the engine mounts.

Since it is going to be a while be4 i get my kit, and since RH doesn't answer my questions, i have no idea if a t5 will work.

Cheers, -sm

What is the source of your T5? I believe the T5 as used in the Sierra has a standard type 9 tail shaft fitted whereas the T5 from a mustang or other 'US' sources has a different tail shaft.

I looked at a T5 for my 2B/04. I concentrated on the tail shaft area and worked out that would fit but speaking to Tim Norman he thinks the main gearbox part of a T5 is too wide. The lightweight is slightly different to the 2B. I believe the lightweight is designed to take gearboxes with a larger tailshaft such as the MT75. However it is smaller overall and therefore is likly to be more constrained than a 2B on main gearbox size.