Mini Wiper Problems

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Have mini wiper motor fitted under fixed scuttle. (basically help to drivers side chassis rail behind pedal box with Jubilee clips / bracket).

The wipers are "clap hands" type. Problem I have is that the only ever get full travel on the fastest setting (and then not all the time, sometimes they do half a stroke & then back to the "clap" middle position which is what you get on slower settings or intermittent) & they always park in the middle of the screen.

Seem to remember the park position on these is set in the gearbox, does anyone know how to do it??

:)

My wipers meet in the middle but park on the bottom of the screen.

It's just a case of rotating the wiper spindle wheel boxes on the drive worm 180 degrees so they sweep in the oposite direction (the wiper arms will need to be repositioned on the spindles once set in the new park position).

sometimes they do half a stroke & then back

sound like you have excess play in the wiper drive somewhere.

Les

Guest salty_monk

Tom,

Thanks, I think that's conventional setup not "clap hands" setup though...

Les, that's exactly the same as I have in setup.

It's weird that they work properly sometimes on fastest speed but never on a slower speed or when parking, it's almost as if there's too much friction & that the momentum of the fastest speed can overcome this some but not all of the time..

Guess I'll have to take it apart & see what happens!

:rolleyes: :)

And then there's the switch that controls the park, it is often the cause of problems, I seem to remember the brass contacts fail first. Simple job to remove and make repairs, i had to, so it must be !!! ;)

Mine clap too, and park nicely on the horizontal .

Guest salty_monk

Ok had a look... See picture below.

Image008.jpg

Seems that problem one is the motor is not mounted very well & wiggles all over the place.

Problem two is a gap after the bend in the first bit of pipe (outer) & the next bit (both ends are flared). This was bridged with a piece of vinyl cloth held on by cable ties & was leading to the reduced travel as it was gradually stretching / tearing.

When I tried to hold the motor back against it's mount on the chassis tube & turned it on it just ripped the vinyl completely & now the wipers do nothing whilst the motor "nods" in & out opeing & closing the gap between the 2 flared bits of pipe...

I'm also not sure that the bend in the first bit of tube coming out of the gearbox isn't a problem itself??

Can anyone help? How are the flared bits meant to be joined? Is there a special clip? Is it just a case of securing the motor properly & joining the 2 bits of pipe up?

Cheers,

Dan :)

Guest salty_monk

If this is the case then why the flared ends?

Do you think he's used an extra bit of tube? Seems longer than your one (i.e. motor is further away from the gearboxes)

Weird!

:rolleyes: :(

Dan,

the flared end on the tube from the motor in your pic looks like it is where the first wheel box should fit. Another bit of bit of tube has been fitted in between to try and cover the the worm drive to where the wheel box actually fits in the hole. (I bet this bit is from the middle section which has to be shortened)

You need to get the motor closer(which looks a bit difficult where it is) so the flare reaches the first wheel box or fit a longer tube.

Is there any way you can fit the motor on the other side?

In the pic of mine I posted further up this thread the only tube that was cut from the original mini system was the middle one which was needed to be done to get it to fit in the holes in the bonnet.

Les

Guest salty_monk

I think with a bit of bracket jiggery pokery I can probably get it close enough or fit it the other side.... Thanks for the help, seems they have just been cut & unflared ends put back in the boxes so I think you're probably right, this is the middle bit.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted soon enough now I know what it's actually meant to be like... :)

These are good... from SVC Click on the link for Wipers....! :)

wiperpic2.gif

wiperd1.jpg

wiperpic.gif

wiperplug.gif

Guest Petemate

Dan - That bend in the bundy from the motor is very tight, and not doing the motor any favours. From your post, I think you've sussed it out well, and we look forward to your report of success....

Pete

That bend might not be too bad, the original mini fit had a fair bend in it - the main point is that the bundy tubes need to be fixed - to the motor and to the wheel boxes. The flared ends fit inside the motor ferrule and inside the clamp on each wheelbox. You can't have an unsheathed bit of spiral rod - that gap in yours is causing the problem.

That link talks about taking the motor apart to change the park position. All you need to do is to rotate the wheelboxes through 180 and repostion the arms. The mini motor parks with the rod extended, the first movement is towards the motor so if the rod runs above and behind the wheelbox, the first movement of the blade will be towards the motor side of the car. (top picture)

Sounds like you want the left wheel box like top and right one like bottom picture for clap hands, outwards park (motor on the right)

standard.jpg

wiperpic.gif

Like this:

standard.jpg