Super Spec Coilovers

mellors55

I am seriously thinking about replacing the standard Zimmerframe coilovers on my Super Spec for something with higher spring rates and dampers that work!!

Can anyone suggest:

What spring rates I will need (car weighs about 790 kilos - not sure about front /rear split)

What make are the best performance/cost compromise for road use.

What mods do I need for the mountings (The bottom rear mounting is a single hole through the borrom of the standard sierra arm at present)

John

John

I have replaced mine with Gaz units, both dampers and springs. I have used 2.25" units with 220lbs springs on the front and 300lbs on the back.

I have found immediate benefits on handling and ride, albeit the fronts needed to be moved up the wishbone to get clearence. I have had new brackets made front and rear to accomodate the new shocks. I have just had some brackets made for Al Milton as he is converting his SSpec too.

Derek

Guest salty_monk

I think you can get 1.9" springs too... GAZ or PRO-TEC are probably the cheapest.

Bill & Joey did alright on their recent upgrade. I'm guessing details will be on their website somewhere...

John,

I spoke to Dave at Dampertech (Gaz agent 01709 703992) and found him very helpful. He has recommended and supplied 1.9" springs rated at 300lb all round.

The fronts are 130/090 B12 shocks with 1.9x8x300 springs

The rears are 170//110 B12 shocks with 1.9x10x300 springs

The total cost for the set including the dreaded vat and delvery was £350. Can't say how they will make the car handle as i'm a long way off getting on the road, but the look 100x better than the Zimmers. I took the members advice and am binning these for good shocks, so there will be a complete set of brand new Zimmers going if anyone wants them. Keep an eye on the for sale page

I'll be collecting the brackets from Derek at the weekend and will have them on shortly after. Derek has been a star getting the brackets made.

Al