How Big Is The Plate?

baj25

I am looking at fitting a steel bar across the underside of my MS chassis 2B, for seat and inner harness fixings. I want to fix it’s outer ends in the area of the rear outer sus mountings as others have done. I know there is a rectangular horizontal plate welded to the chassis tubes for rear sus mounting in this area. Could someone with a bare (-ish) chassis please tell me the distance this plate extends from the inside of the chassis rails towards the centre of the car, so I know where I can fix to it? I didn’t do this part of the car and I can’t suss it out with floor pan and suspension bolted on. Also, what is the purpose of the thing that hangs down from sierra suspension here? It’s like a half tennis ball with a dimple in the bottom. Can it be cut/ground off? It doesn’t appear in any photos I’ve seem of other builds.

TIA,

Brian

Thats in about the same place as mine, but mine is a different design. It doesn't seem to be part of the outer trailing arm or the large tube across to the inner arm fixing. It is enjoyable learning these things though.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest TerryBarry

Brian,

There may be a different rear mount fitting on earlier or later cars than mine (1989)

Here's a picture of the mounting rubber on the cross tube before fitting to RH chassis

post-3-1132597434.jpg

Guest chris brown

That tophat washer came from the front suspension on the donor (Must use donor parts where ever possible :( ) the bolt is there to "centre" the tube there should be another bolt somewhat buried just behind the rubber mount I think in the video Richard says drill through both sides of the tube then using a chisel open up the lower one so the head of the bolt will pass through then bolt hard down to the chassis, now block up the jagged hole with silicone or something :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: .

Guest Alan_builder

Hi all,

I seem to remember the front crossmember angle is for mounting the hand brake as well as the seat. It is thus important to set the rear bar position to the seat fixing for and aft spacing. If U are not using the Sierra seats the rear bar will / may need to be in an alternate position. I seem to remember with the volvo seats the rear cross bar was just in frot of the torque tube ends and we mounted it to chassis side seat belt mounting / torque plate mounting. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies, especially Steve (again). I've a good idea what area I've got to go at with the drill now. And I know what my inverted tennis ball thing covers as well. Don't know how you manage to ground this though Bill- either you need to lay off the pies or you are carrying something heavy around in your boot ;)

Brian