Lower Suspension

Snapperpaul

I have done a dummy fit of the arches on my series 3 with the donor 165/80/13 and have a gap of almost 4 inches from the top of the tyre to the arch lip.

i plan to use 195/50/15 but the rolling radius is not much difference, so next i dismantelled one side coil over, removed the packing washers and bolted it all back on, a little lower but now not enough adjustment to compress the springs.

The otherside i just wound up the adjuster as much as i could. 21 cm floor to ground but still nearly 4 inches tyre to arch. It may drop a bit further with the diff back in and a tank of gas and the engine and gearbox is still sitting in the workshop. and i might loose 1/2 when i fit the arches for good.

Am i missing something (apart from my marbles) would some shorter but higher rated springs do the trick. HELP.

Hi.

I found on my 2b that it all 'sat down' a lot more when fully built. Best to set the height after a few test runs. And if you go too low then you will know it cos it will ground out !

Guest docter fox

IMO the arch gap on my S7 is way to much aswell ;) I'm not sure what the set up is with a 2b, but I plan to change the sierra stuff to rear coilovers on custom mounts which would be adjustable with spacers, which means I should be able to set it a lot lower, but I don't have the dosh at the mo ;)

Guest Alan_builder

:o

Just changed to coilovers as the ride height was too low on our 2B/04.

I made the trumpets as the video, bad move!

I have the impression the shocks were to short to raise the car further and have good dynamic motion.

We were on the bottom of adjusment vis engaugement of trumpets and the the roll cage, any further and there would be no engaugement!

Worst of all the car bottomed.

Don't get ride height and mudguard gap confused.

The car need to ride 7.5" off the gtound.

It looked like you have smaller wheels so there will be more room between the tyre and the mudguard.

On the 2B the mudguard is fixed to the bottom of the chassis so if U use small wheels U have to put up with the gap at the top, you can only move the front and back of the mudguard so far to keep the gap even!

I :wub: my RH

Guest Battery Bill

Alan

The car need to ride 7.5" off the gtound.

"*****s " :lol: :lol: What are you driving a 4X4 ?

3.0 Front and 4.5 rear :rolleyes:

And with decent shockers there is not much of a grounding problem :D :D

Guest Alan_builder

:(

Do another test.

Look at the gap under your car, the space between the trailing arm and the ground.

To get the top of the wheel closer to the mudguard by 2" and U will have 2" less space as above.

Simple test.

Mesure the gap as above and tyre to mudguard gap.

Jack up car by 2" and you now have 6" between tyre and mudguard?

I think you will find the problem is the position of the trailing arm pivit position.

The trailing arm is level or sloping upwards where it should be sloping down (front to back direction).

I think by the time U have the wheel in the desired position the pivit point will be too low and U will ground.

Move the pivit point if U can.

I :wub: my RH

Guest Battery Bill
Do another test.

No its p*****g it down, and anyway we have just went out with the rule and the lowest point at the rear is 4.5 inches and the hoop at the front is 3 :p :p

So there

And we dont bottom out very often now. :D :D

Going to supply us all with engines and short sumps then bill?

If the moneys there :D :D

Guest Battery Bill
Give the guy a break Bill he is looking for information to a problem!

But he is getting information, you are giving him your information and we are giving him ours :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and ours is after 7500 Miles :D :D

Guest docter fox

now now ladies :p

IMO the height looks good if I get a couple of mates to sit on the back :D and as the suspension must be pivoting when its being pushed down I would like the coilovers to hold it steady at this point, and it should have enough room for movement aswell :)

Bill / Alan

Alan is talking about the distance between the chassis tube and the ground.

Bill is talking about the distance between the bottom of the car and the ground.

Your respective heights work out as pretty much the same

Guest Alan_builder

:gdit:

Bill, don't you know the streets of London are paved with gold.

Gold bars to take out your sump!

We call them speed humps!

The M3 has 2 off, 4" deep groves down the lanes. Lets see U drive down here!

:gdit: