Which Radiator Cap

Guest sps137

hi all, sorry, i know this has been asked before but i cant find quite what i'm looking for in the archives. I have a stainless 2b kit originaly surplied circa 2000 (i'm not the first owner). I've sorted all the plumbing out ( i hope) but need to buy a rad cap. I'm running with the rh supplied brand new radiator and in to a non pressurised expansion tank. Looking through the previous posts i'm guessing that it is a either a cortina or coolman rad, how do identify which, or do they both use the same cap? Or can someone tell me the most likely caps and i can trial and error.

cheers

simon

Guest salty_monk

Yes.. about £3 from Halfords but whichever rad you have (Cortina plastic headers, Coolman metal headers) the supplied cap should be ok...

I had to tap the retainers down on mine a little to make it pull tight to the neck of the rad & then I stuck a big blob of Araldite over the top of the centre rivet on the outside to prevent any air leaks there (both of these can be a problem that stops it siphoning the water back from tank to rad on cool down).

Just make sure it has 2 seals, one at the top under the cap & the other on the sprung mounted valve thingy (technical term! :D )

Poundage isn't too fussy either, 13lb is ok, a higher one will help it run cooler but make it more likely to leak... They do a 15lb one from memory as well, that too will be fine...

Dan :)

cheers all, the cap was obviously one of the items that got lost in transit from the previous owner, i was surprised rh didn't supply them. i'll pop down halfords tomorrow.