Radar Detectors Suggestions

Hi, and Happy Christmas!! Hope everyone had a good one and has being out playing in the snow!!!!

Ok got a snooper s2 for christmas and in order to unlock it you have to subscribe, at £5 per month

So £60 a year just to get downloads that i might do mayber 4 times a year......seems a little steep!

Are there any detectors on the market where downloads are free, or you can just pick and choose months to pay for???

Anything upto about £250

Thanks for any advice

Guest chris brown
can you update this so that you can ensure it is acurate?
Don’t know much about them and not very computer literate but I believe you can.

;) I know before someone else says it I'm not very literate at all. ;) :wacko: :wacko:

Guest salty_monk

Yes. You can update them. Not 100% full proof though. I got points from a mobile on a bridge on the M4 whilst using one (at 85 :( )

As they don't detect they can only give out suggestions of where the camera's might be if they're not fixed. Pretty good at roadworks & stuff though.

Tom Tom charge you for the speed camera stuff but you can get it free. I've got the web address somewhere....

Here it is... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

And don't forget the VASCAR, they just measure 2 points and work out you average speed. No emmisions = No detection.

If you have a PDA then you download the sites of the static stuff but not updated as quick as the subscription ones, and you still need the radar, laser and infrared detectors for the mobile sites.

£60 per year!

I got caught after 7 years without a tug and all in all, without the insurance hike it cost me 3 days off 6 points and over £500.

Another vote for Tomtom and the speed camera database from pocketgpsworld (and the checkpoint add-on). Free updates (although they rely on people spotting cameras and updating the camera data files) and it includes fixed cameras, common locations for movable cameras, red-light cameras and SPECS zones.

Steve

PS. Be very careful if you decide to buy from ebay. If they're charging a ridiculously low amount for Tomtom, it's pirate copy. There are loads around, and without a valid product code you can't get any updates to work.

Guest RichardO

When I was updating mine from the PocketGPS site, I noticed that they will soon be charging for the database.

Although they are only suggesting £2 per download it hasn't gone down very well with some of their forum users as it is/was users who gave the info for the database to be built/updated.

I've got one of those Aldi special offers from 2 years ago, a half-decent PDA with the relevant GPS bits/software.

Rich...

Guest paul boatman

I have a classic road angel - still £49 a year subs though - it also has a detector which can plug in.

just one point though the idea is that you regularly upate the system to pick up the new locations of fixed and mobile cameras. only updating 2-3 times a year will mean you miss the new ones.