Speeding Tickets

Big Jim

now I just know that you're all going to love this (some of you already know) but I have had a "NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION" served on me for speeding in the Discovery. "WE HAVE PHOTOGRAPHIC / VIDEO EVIDENCE" it says. Don't try to deny it, just admit to driving it, and if it wasn't you who was it? or words to that effect! you are DONE, because at 7-57pm on 13/06/03 you were doing 41 MPH on West..someat? road in Blackpool.

Now there is just one small problem here!

At 7-57pm on 13/06/03, I and my Disco were some 200 + miles away at the World Superbikes at Silverstone! and what's more, I have NEVER been to Blackpool in the Disco at ALL.Now, can you just imagine the letter that I wrote to the Plods / thier agents?? I am still awaiting a reply, Oh i do hope that they take me to court!!!

All i can say is, I can prove it easily, but what if I couldn't? what if the car was just parked up at home? my word against theirs, mind you, i would certainly like a look at the "Photographic evidence" !!!!!

There have been cases of cloning, especially with the London congestion charging.

Spot a similar car, type & colour, get a set of plates made up & they get the ticket, not you.

That's why its such a pain getting new plates made up now, but all in a good cause.

Guest Battery Bill

The Plods should know better!

Big Jim never speeds does he?

Ha Ha

Give em hell Jim,

How about publishing your letter give us all a laugh.

Guest Peter n the better half

a few years back i had the same type of summons.

Only problem was that my car a Rover 800 (met green) was in Wolverhampton 30 minutes after it got a speeding ticket north of manchester at 1645 on a friday.

All i did was phone the manchester traffic police and asked how fast they could get from north manchester to wolverhampton with the blue lights and sirens going ?

And for once a real helpful copper asked why?

After i explained he quoted that ...' he couldnt get out of manchester with the lights on at that time.

So i asked if he would be prepared to say this in court the answer was ..Yes sure itll be fun.

I called the issuing office and explained the situation. the answer nearly knocked me down.

She said that i had been seen on cctv and on a flashy money grabbing camera.

In ....now wait for it a Black rover 200........ hmmm 600 short and a paint job in 30 minutes and a drive down the m6.....

After i explained i could prove where i was at the time and the car she said ok. thatll do for me ill sort it from here. and to this day all ive had is an appology for the trouble caused.

It seems that once every so often 2 cars are given the same reg no through no fault of anyone .... this was the case with my rover which was sold a week later.

Oh the garage i part ex'd it with didnt reregister it straight away and i got 2 more speeding offences in the 2 months it took the dvla to sort the problem out. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest DaveB

I had the same problem years back I was in France with my car when I when done for 70 + in a 30 in Crewe. The part that P*-**d me off was I had the produced evidence that I was in France, what ever happened to the innocent until proven guilty. I had a red Carlton at the time turned out that the car in Crewe had false plates same colour same model.

Dave B

Guest Angel Boy

I can only forsee this getting worse. Hate to be gloomy etc but if you start to impose tolls on MWays, congestion charges and the likes how can you stop it if they can only identify you by your number plate?

It is a difficult one to stop. :(

Andy

Guest Chris.A.
now I just know that you're all going to love this (some of you already know) but I have had a "NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION" served on me for speeding in the Discovery. "WE HAVE PHOTOGRAPHIC / VIDEO EVIDENCE" it says. Don't try to deny it, just admit to driving it, and if it wasn't you who was it? or words to that effect! you are DONE, because at 7-57pm on 13/06/03 you were doing 41 MPH on West..someat? road in Blackpool.

Now there is just one small problem here!

At 7-57pm on 13/06/03, I and my Disco were some 200 + miles away at the World Superbikes at Silverstone! and what's more, I have NEVER been to Blackpool in the Disco at ALL.Now, can you just imagine the letter that I wrote to the Plods / thier agents?? I am still awaiting a reply, Oh i do hope that they take me to court!!!

All i can say is, I can prove it easily, but what if I couldn't? what if the car was just parked up at home? my word against theirs, mind you, i would certainly like a look at the "Photographic evidence" !!!!!

you are a white and of male gender? ...........fair game!

(I already knew you had been done..... a little bird told me!)

Guest Mr Pid

Jim, check the NIP for date of offence and the date of issue and when you recieved it- if it is outside the 14 days period they have to get it to you then there you have very good defence- but it is up to you to point this out to them and let them know you will be more than happy to fight them in court.

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest 2BBoulton

I know I have posted this before but for those of you who missed it last time here is a link to a web site that tells you everything you need to know about speeding fines and how to ensure that you were caught legaly. Go to here :D

Guest Petemate

Hi All

A word of warning to Heavy Goods Vehicle drivers. This may be known, sorry if so but if not....

My eldest son drives lorries for an agency, HGV 1 ASDA. There are a number of cameras, "ordinary" Gatsos, on the A40 between Cheltenham and Oxford. On June 1st, he was returning towards Oxford, and on passing one of the cameras near Burford, just as an Aston Martin was rapidly approaching from behind, the camera went off. He (mistakenly) thought it was the car going over the 60 limit coming up behind, but it wasn't. He has had an NIP for "exceeding the limit for goods vehicles". Thing is, he was only going 55, but has up to now gone past the same camera on many an occasion at about 50. We can only assume the camera has a feature recognising the size of goods vehicles, can "let go" vehicles entitled to travel up to the national 60 for single carriageways, and that 55 was just too much for the poor thing. Big brother seems to have now gone high-tech. :(

Any comments anyone? My son now has more respect for cameras, also a beady eye out for adverts for paint guns. :angry:

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Brynjon

What may have happened is that the Aston Martin set off the camera whilst overtaking the wagon. o fcourse it would have disappeared alongside the wagon before the second flash which the people that can, can take a measurement from. The distance between the white lines just after the camera are aligned so the speed can be calculated between flash 1 and flash 2. If he was speeding then he is goosed, but without seeing the picture you will not be able to argue the point in case the aston was nowehre in sight.

Guest Petemate

Hi Brynjon

In fact, the Aston had not passed the lorry, but just caught up very quick as my lad passed the camera. So it was the lorry that set it off, as the Aston was still behind after the event. Also the wording in the NIP says it all by referring to the speed for goods vehicles, which in the case of an HGV, is 50mph on a single carriageway. :( :(

Also, we checked and the NIP was received 10 days later by the lorry hiring company. :angry:

Thanks for the thoughts anyway :p

Pete(Oldgit)